“God made the cat to give man the pleasure of stroking a tiger.” ~ Joseph Mery
Sometime back, I had written a post on ‘Po’ – The Little Kitten. It happens so that the playful kitten Po, now grown up by a few months, has landed up at my house, and is keeping me on my toes. As we are adjusting to each other’s presence, most of my time now goes in watching its antics.
The kitten has peculiar habits with strange feline ways of communicating and emoting. There is a silent mystery about the creature as it disappears within the flash of a second and sneaks into the weirdest corners of the house, finding a new place to hide every day. At other times, it makes itself particularly endearing by playfully rolling on its back and rubbing its head on our feet and purring, on being petted.
It butts its head, suddenly comes running and bumps me, sits on my desk, does high five, stares continuously and then blinks, curls up and sulks when scolded. Going by the saying that when a cat bumps you and rubs against you, they “claim” you by leaving a bit of their musk on you, ‘Po’ seemed to have claimed our house with the inmates.
There are moments when Po exhibits bursts of intense dashing through the house for reasons best known to him. He plays the hunt and chase game with paper balls or soft toys and is very curious about everything that goes on inside the house. Yes, he also scratches furniture for territorial marking, and jumps out of the windows at the first opportunity but is extremely scared to go out of the door.
Most of our discussions at home these days are oddly centred around the cat.
While trying to dig out about the behavioural traits of cats, I came across several quotes on cats. I am listing here the ones that I found particularly interesting.
- “If animals could speak, the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow; but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much.” ~ Mark Twain
- “Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay not attention to it and go about your business, you’ll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap.” ~ William Bennett
- “Human beings are drawn to cats because they are all we are not — self-contained, elegant in everything they do, relaxed, assured, glad of the company, yet still possessing secret lives.” ~ Pam Brown
- “Cats have it all — admiration, an endless sleep, and company only when they want it.” ~ Rod McKuen
- “I have lived with several Zen masters — all of them cats.” ~ Eckhart Tolle
- “Dogs come when they’re called; cats take a message and get back to you later.” ~ Mary Bly
- “To err is human, to purr is feline.” ~ Robert Byrne
- “Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.” ~ Anonymous
- “The smallest feline is a masterpiece.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci
How I concur with these! The more I look into the inscrutable black eyes of the kitten, the more I feel obliged to take care of it. :D
If you like this post, please consider following the blog.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Please like, share and/or leave feedback in comments below!