Ten food quotes and a Bibimbap bowl

Food is always associated with festivities in most cultures. Among the Bengalis, eating out is a norm during the Durga Puja. At the pandals, stalls are set up that sell a variety of food from different parts of the country. The trend of eating out continues on and off till Diwali and then peaks up again during the New Year.

These are the times when I usually try out different cuisines. Though my food choices are rather limited by the virtue of being a vegetarian, I look for the vegetarian version of various cuisines. Last week, during a lunch-out at Hitchki (the word means hiccup in Hindi), a restaurant in Powai,  I spotted a dish on the Menu card, with a rather strange sounding name – Bibimbap.

Seeing the unusual name, I checked out its composition.  It looked like a rice dish cooked with carrots, mushrooms, and some other ingredients. I found that the restaurant served the dish both with and without meat. I opted for the vegetarian version, which we ordered along with dim sum and bough for starters. While waiting for the order, I surfed the net to find out where this cuisine came from.

Bibimbap – a popular Korean dish

Bibimbap is a popular Korean dish, made of rice, served with sautéed and seasoned vegetables, and a bit of pepper paste. The word Bibimbap translates as “mixed rice,” with ‘bibim’ meaning “mixed” and ‘bap’ meaning “cooked rice”. It is an essential dish in Korean cuisine. The ingredients are chosen carefully to balance, harmonize, and offset each other. The Koreans believe it heals the body, releases energy and keeps illness away.

Bibimbap

Soon after the attendant had served the dim sum, he brought the Bibimbap in a black bowl.  Sliced carrots, cucumber, mushrooms and soybean sprouts arranged on top of the rice, with sesame seeds sprinkled over them gave a wholesome look to the dish. It was served with hot pepper paste on the side. The textures and colours came together nicely in the bowl. Everything was supposed to be mixed up before eating.

As I dug my spoon into it, I found that the vegetables, being lightly cooked, retained their individual flavours and all combined together tasted delicious. There was some sweetness to the sprouts maybe due to honey added during cooking.

So, the unusual sounding Bibimbap turned out to be a healthy dish. Those who are fond of sweet rice ‘meethe chawal’ would enjoy this dish.

Hitchki Powai Wall decor

Quotes on Food

While on the topic of food, let me share some of my favourite quotes and proverbs on food that are universally applicable

The belly rules the mind. – Spanish Proverb

Food_Quote

All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast. – John Gunther

If we’re not willing to settle for junk living, we certainly shouldn’t settle for junk food. -Sally Edwards

Slow Food unites the pleasure of food with responsibility, sustainability and harmony with nature. – Carlo Petrini

Food_Culture_Quote

The so-called nouvelle cuisine usually means not enough on your plate and too much on your bill. – Paul Bocuse

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity. -Voltaire

I have come to the conclusion that just as the Japanese live to work, Asians live to eat. – Anastacia Oaikhena

Don’t dig your grave with your own knife and fork. – English Proverb

Oh yes, before I end, a word about Hitchki. It is a resto bar, designed with the theme of nostalgia. It was interesting to see old telephones boxes hung on a wall and a bicycle on another.

The service was average and the music was a bit loud for my liking. Some preparations were very good, while some were average. But,  the bowl of Bibimbap made it a memorable treat for me.

By: Somali K Chakrabarti

Hi there! Welcome to Scribble and Scrawl! Here, I delve into themes related to positive lifestyle – from making smart-living choices, savvy financial decisions to nurturing the mind, body and soul. I share my travel experiences, explore facets of art and culture and highlight inspiring stories. Hope you enjoy reading my posts.

You May Also Like:

21 thoughts on “Ten food quotes and a Bibimbap bowl

• October 6, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Looks like a neat place, Somali! Do you like world cuisine or you prefer sticking to the norm?

• October 6, 2017 at 3:02 pm

Thank you arv. I like to try out the local dishes of any place, provided I find the veg options. If not, I can do with bread, soup etc. Otherwise, continental food works well for me. How about you?

• October 6, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Great. I wouldn’t say that I’m adventurous when it comes to food. I don’t have any preference for specific cuisine. It works as long as it’s vegetarian.

• October 6, 2017 at 1:47 pm

While I appreciate and understand your choice to be a vegetarian. It is a food that goes with our digestive system well. Still, during Pujo you are experimenting with a vegetarian dish! Could have made some exception, unless totally committed to be vegetarian. Just an unsolicited advice. I personally think vegetarian food goes well with me. But i am not a strictly vegetarian.

• October 6, 2017 at 3:15 pm

Thank you sir. Not an unsolicited advice. Any Bengali person would have said the same. Somehow, I cannot have non -veg. I gave up eating non-veg when I was in school. Though after marriage, I occasionally tried eating fish, I did not relish it. So, I am totally committed to be vegetarian, in a non- vegetarian family 🙂 The only exception is eggs. On other hand, my husband and daughter equate Pujo with fish fry, mutton chop, roomali rooti etc. 😀 😀

• October 6, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Excellent quotes Somali. and like the last one…
    We are what we eat… And I think we should all try something different.. When abroad I always love trying the local dishes.. Its all part of the holiday adventure learning to eat and taste new foods.
    🙂 though I will be honest I can not eat very spicy hot…

• October 9, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Thank you very much Sue. Food gives a taste of the culture and lifestyle of any place. So, I also love to try out local dishes when I go to some new place, but like you I also prefer food that is less spicy and hot. Additionally I do not eat fish and meat. So choices are limited. Thank you once again for your kind visit. 🙂

• October 8, 2017 at 10:50 pm

I love it when people share delicious vegetarian dishes rather than non-veg. After all, it isn’t fun to read about things one would never try. Thanks for sharing Somali 🙂
    Bibimbap sounds funny like some creature in a children’s fantasy. I like it when name sounds funny or weird. That makes eating the dish sound like an adventure 😀
    Have a great week ahead.

• October 9, 2017 at 12:23 pm

Ha ha Kiran. I liked the name so much that I tried out the dish. It sounds somewhat like Sim Sim Khulja 😀
      I did not know that you too are vegetarian. Perhaps you can try it out sometime. Thank you for stopping by, Hope you had a great start to the week.

• October 9, 2017 at 10:54 am

Bibimbap! I’ve had this dish a few times and it always comes across as flavourful. It’s nice you can taste the taste of the individual vegetables – that’s when you know a dish is prepared with the chef bringing out the flavours in mind and not wanting a certain taste to overpower over the other, which is so common with many MSG-laden fast foods today. And you ordered dim sum too… didn’t hear you say if it what good or bad, and I hope the dim sum was good 😀

For me, each meal is to be savoured. Not every day I get to eat breakfast because I’m rushing to work, but when I do get the chance to eat my meal, I like to eat it slow and savour every bit and taste 🙂

• October 9, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Thank you Mabel. You might be surprised to know that while posting I thought you might have had it since it is likely to be available in many East Asian countries.
      I didn’t have the dim sum as it meat in it. My husband and daughter relished those. I ordered bough instead , which I first mistook for large sized dim sum but after eating I found that cover was made of wheat. I preferred the Bibimbap to bough.
      Good to know that you eat slowly while savoring the food, when you have time. That is supposed to be the best way to eat. But skipping breakfast is not a good idea dear. I don’t intend to be preachy but if you can, please try to have some breakfast before you rush out. Have a great week. 🙂 🙂

• October 10, 2017 at 11:03 am

Bimbimbap is also very common here in Australia. So many kinds of food all over the world these days. Bough? I’ve never heard of that 😀

• October 10, 2017 at 3:12 am

Beautiful article. Being a foodie, I always have an ardent interest in trying out new cuisines and beverages. I thoroughly enjoyed your food experience. If possible, do try Korean Spicy tofu soup next time. I personally love it. And yes, those ten food quotes are really great. Anastecia Oaikhena and Alex Atala’s quotes are fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

• October 10, 2017 at 10:31 am

Hi Renu, Thanks a lot for stopping by. Happy to know that you enjoyed the post. I will keep it in mind to try out Korean Spicy Tofu. 🙂

• October 11, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Bibimbap! Never heard of it before, but loving the name 😀 It sounds like a delectable dish. “Hitchki” is also a very innovative name 😀 … Food is the only thing that unites us all, in the same way. The quotes are wonderful!

• October 12, 2017 at 7:42 pm

I love vegetarian cuisine! I’m more of a pescatarian — seafood is my belly over mind food. 😆 Great dishes and excellent quotes that complete your post perfectly, Somali. 🌹💋

• October 18, 2017 at 3:03 pm

My daughter is a total vegetarian too.. And yet she makes the most delicious meals and I only just saw this reply… It did not appear in my notifications.. So thank you xx

• October 18, 2017 at 3:08 pm

It is so surprising to know that your daughter is a vegetarian and equally delightful to know that she prepares delicious meals. 😀 Sending good wishes her way. Love & Regards, Somali