Improve indoor air quality with Royale Atmos

Masks have been used since ages for both ceremonial and practical purposes. I have always had a fascination for different types of masks. Whenever I go to some new place, along with the other knickknacks and souvenirs, I generally bring home a mask, which finds a place on the wall of my living room. However, lately more than the decorative masks, I have been buying face masks for protection against the rising pollution levels.

Masks
Masks – from decorative to practical

I got an anti-pollution mask when I went to Delhi last year in November. After Diwali, the air pollution levels in Delhi had reached a phenomenal high. The schools there had declared a three-day holiday during what was being called as the Great smog event, and people were advised to stay indoors. The premise was that inside our house, we were safe from pollution.

It was not until recently that I realized how wrong that perception was. My sense of safety from pollution inside the house was severely challenged after I heard that indoor air can be 5 times more polluted than outdoor air.

‘Indoor air can be more polluted than outdoor air!’

Impossible! Nah! Not in my house!’ was the first thing that came to my mind when I heard this.

I shrugged and tossed aside the thought. Though not exactly a cleanliness freak, I usually pride myself on the neat and tidy appearance of my home. Sweeping, mopping and dusting are daily activities; the ceiling fan blades that notoriously gather dust are cleaned every week and the cobwebs are removed as soon as those start forming around the corners of the walls. The floor is mopped and the toilet is cleaned with disinfectant, bed sheets and pillow covers are changed and washed regularly, and no one smokes inside my house.

How can the air inside my house be polluted?

Somehow, the nagging question persisted in my mind. I decided to dig further into the topic and found out a report on Indoor Air pollution and Health (see Reference), which revealed some startling facts that I am sharing below:

The sources of indoor air pollution range from tobacco smoke to pets, to insects, to mould and fungus, with all of these making their own contributions to the air pollution inside our home.

A major indoor air pollutant is formaldehyde, or CH2O, a toxic organic compound that exists as a gas at room temperature. If present in high concentration, formaldehyde can cause irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, coughing, rashes, fatigue and other serious health problems. So, how does this compound get inside our house?

Through the construction materials and furniture. Cupboards, kitchen cabinets and furniture made of particle board, hardwood plywood panelling, and MDF (medium-density fibreboard) contain resins that emit formaldehyde. Additional sources of formaldehyde include hair care products, especially hair straighteners, paper towels, upholstery and new mattresses.

Formaldehyde is also known as a Human Carcinogen – California Envioronmental Protection Agency

Sources of Formaldehyde
Sources of Formaldehyde

‘Who could have thought that plywood cupboards and kitchen cabinets could be the sources of such a deadly pollutant?’

Surprised and alarmed with these revelations, I was also reminded of the foul smells that often tend to stick around inside the home like the unwanted guests who refuse to leave. These offensive odours from cigarettes, rotten eggs, ammonia, garlic etc act as air irritants and degrade the air quality within the home.

‘Since most of us spend a substantial amount of time indoors, how much of the polluted air we must be inhaling right inside our homes!’ I wondered.

Needless to say that breathing in polluted air can lead to serious health issues. Some of these could be immediate, while others may show up years later. This is why there are regulations in some countries on the use of composite wood products that emit formaldehyde. Sadly, these regulations are missing in India.

So, how do we fight the danger of Indoor Air Pollution, even if symptoms are not apparently noticeable?

Here’s the good news!

Asian Paints took up the challenge to help us breathe better at home. After thorough research, tests and experiments, they have come up with an all-new revolutionary paint, Royale Atmos that can act as the first line of defence against indoor air pollution.

RoyaleAtmos
Royale Atmos

How does Royale Atmos reduce indoor air pollution?

By breaking down the formaldehyde molecules harmless molecules, Royale Atmos reduces the levels of formaldehyde. When a molecule of the pollutant hits a normal paint, it bounces back and readily continues to pollute the air. Whereas, Royale Atmos on the walls, breaks down the pollutant molecule into smaller harmless molecules. The decrease in the levels of formaldehyde within the home makes the air purer. Laboratory tests indicate that within 24 hours of application, Royale Atmos can reduce 85% of the formaldehyde.

Equipped with Activated Carbon Technology, Royale Atmos absorbs household odours from nicotine, ammonia, hydrogen sulphide, sweat, garlic etc. and makes the air fresher and purer.

Indoor Plants
#CleanAirBeautifulHomes

The other precautions that you can take to further bring down indoor air pollution are as follows:

• Do not smoke inside the house
  • Leave your windows open for natural ventilation whenever possible
  • Use pesticides carefully as per the instructions on the bottles
  • Use exhaust fans in kitchen and bathroom and repair leaky taps to prevent dampness and keep humidity in control
  • Avoid scented candles and air fresheners
  • Add indoor plants for natural air purification
  • Dispose of all paint cans and chemical cleaners
  • Avoid the use asbestos for insulation

A home with clean air is everyone’s dream home.

So let’s get set to fight the dangers of indoor air pollution and join hands with Royal Atmos to breathe clean air in our beautiful home.

Breathe healthy, live healthy!

References:

Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)

Indoor Air Pollution

By: Somali K Chakrabarti

Hi there ! I am a management and leadership coach and a ‘çlinical blogger’. Well, that’s what my family & friends call me now ! Here, I tell stories of different brands, how people relate to the brands and the values, beliefs and emotions that they associate with the brands. Hope you enjoy reading my posts.

16 thoughts on “Improve indoor air quality with Royale Atmos

• September 23, 2017 at 6:59 pm

It’s good to be here after this much time! Liked you post, Somali, best wishes for the contest…and, following your advice I plan to be regular and be in touch! ☺☺

• September 24, 2017 at 5:15 am

Somali a very insightful and profoundly powerful post, the facts on in-house air pollution and the acts of cleanliness in-house is smartly captured and so vividly reflected upon. I could very well relate your Delhi experience as I was in the similar situation in Delhi last year where in relative place we had to use the room purifier to protect from the deadly pollution concern gripping the outside environment. The news of such rising air pollution from Delhi to Shanghai are not good signals and time is indeed running out, if we don’t act fast we shall all be very shortly out of action in life…

As regard the composition of formaldehyde molecules in the resin used in sofas to cupboards to cabinets are generally not known to most and I was no exception, and these was revelation and more so the intensity of the pollution caused by such molecules was something I couldn’t initially digest but facts are facts and 85% is definitely a major cause of concern for all of us. Also, the little things that you have suggested (plants in house, stoppage of water leaks, etc) can go a long way to control and manage the otherwise uncontrolled and unknown state of pollution we live our life inside our house.

Yes, the properties of Royale Atmos is critically addressing the quality of air where it matters the most in our house, given the climatic conditions outside and have almost become outside environment out of our control, the safe bet in inside our house and living a controlled environment…this post of yours have everything to be royal winner.
    Somali, have a healthy Sunday both on the food front and the air control!!!

• September 25, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Hi Nihar, Thanks for sharing your views. I too was blissfully unaware of the effect of formaldehyde.
      Asbestos sheets and a gas called Radon are other causes of indoor air pollution. Of these, Royale atmos addresses the formaldehyde and odour issues. So, in addition to improving the looks, improving air quality and thereby health is definitely a value added feature of the paint.
      Hope you had a great start to the week.

• September 26, 2017 at 2:25 am

I agree Somali, companies are focusing more on the function and health aspect of their product which otherwise was getting largely overlooked in the glitter and glamour of look and present-ability of the product, isn’t it ironical that we had given little thought on the air quality inside our house and we were so much obsessed with the quality of air outside and keep questioning the vehicle to industrial pollution whereas small things impacting us in a much bigger way and what we use and consume inside our house has some deadly pollutants and most of us were either ignorant or have no clue how to mitigate those risks.

Have a nice day ahead.

• September 24, 2017 at 9:26 am

A very interesting and insightful post on Somali for us to be more aware both outside and inside the house. We tend to believe that we are safe inside the house but we should not neglect cleaning to ensure that we breath fresh air.

• September 25, 2017 at 3:17 pm

True that Vishal. With so many different types of pollution both outdoors and indoors, we need to know about the ways to protect ourselves as far as possible. Thank you very much for stopping by,

• September 24, 2017 at 10:55 am

I actually never thought that air could be just as polluted as the outside air. But now that you mention it, it could very well be the case, and even things like the material of your kitchen cabinet could be the culprit. Like you, I pride on taking good care of my home, cleaning regularly and opening my windows when I’m cooking. As you brought up, air fresheners might not be the best for the air in our home. I’m not a huge fan of them and find the smells very sickly. I’d much rather open the window to air out my house than use an air freshener – even at the risk of mosquitoes and flies coming into my house, which I can swat away 😀

I also find that perfumes and hairsprays in aerosal cans can also contribute to polluting the air at home. I’m not a fan of perfume but every now and again I use the hairspray and if I do use it, I take it out to the balcony to do so 😀

• September 25, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Hi Mabel, I also cannot withstand the smell of air fresheners, most perfumes or even incense sticks. So I don’t use these anymore. Now I know that there is a valid reason behind it. So many different sources of pollution right inside our house, are causing the increase in lifestyle diseases. We even do not know the reason behind many of those diseases. As a precautionary measure, we can do our bit to improve the air quality inside our house, Thank you so much for sharing your views.

• September 25, 2017 at 8:48 am

Indoor air can be 5x more polluted than the outside? That surprised and appalled me! Thank you for this invaluable article, Somali. I learned a great deal and never though formaldehyde can be such a problem. Royale Atmos sounds like an important addition to houses. All the best to you, Somali! Stay healthy. <3

• September 25, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Hi Rose, I think the catch here could be that Indoor air can be 5x more polluted than the outside in some places where the outside air is relatively cleaner. Nonetheless, it is alarming to know that Indoor air can be as polluted as the air outside, and our shelves and cabinets may not exactly be as safe as we perceive them to be,
      Thanks a lot for your visit, Really appreciate it.

• October 6, 2017 at 5:56 pm

Love those masks.. I do not use indoor air freshers as such. cooking smells I try to keep to the kitchen with closed door extractor fan and windows open.. I do love fresh flowers, and have so enjoyed the fragrance of sweetpeas this summer which have been my air fresheners..
    Love and Hugs my friend

• October 9, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Sue, You are so lucky to have such a beautiful garden that gives you fresh flowers, carrots and cauliflowers along with a lovely place to walk.! 😀 😀 Why would you need air fresheners? 😀 Love & Regards.

• October 11, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Recently, one of my friends, who is researching on the carcinogenic effects of different materials, said the same! He also added that incense sticks are one of the most common reasons for throat cancer. The smoke emitting from them, when inhaled, causes much harm. Thanks for such an informative and well-researched post… 🙂

• October 11, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Maniparna I also found out recently that incense sticks are as harmful as or more harmful than cigarettes. I have not used incense sticks since the last 7- 8 years or more since I started feeling suffocated due to the strong smell. But at that time I thought that I was just being finicky. Maybe that’s the reason why incense stick have attracted highest GST rates.