Rain- A Haiku

By Somali K Chakrabarti

rain

The first drops of rain,

earth sweetly smiles looking at

the glum face of sky!

© Somali K Chakrabarti

A Haiku is a Japanese poem consisting of 17 syllables in 3 lines, with 5 syllables in the first and third lines and 7 in the second.

Lei: A wreath for your soul  is a string of short poems reflecting on nature, life, illusion and inspiration.Lei

If you believe that any picture on the site infringes your copyright, please inform and it will be removed

48 thoughts on “Rain- A Haiku

• June 6, 2016 at 8:03 am

Beautiful 🙂 and the heavenly smell…. so many childhood memories with this sweet pitter patter…. !! 🙂

• June 6, 2016 at 11:48 pm

The fresh smell of wet earth after the first rain is one of the most cherished memories of childhood.. 🙂 There is a word for it – petrichor.

• June 6, 2016 at 8:26 am

Wow ! what an amazing picture with drops of rain hanging by!
    First rain of the season is always special especially after a long wait for the monsoon to arrive…I can recollect the fragrance even now! Also reminds me of my favorite songs…rimjhim ke tarane le ke aayi barsaat…Also, Woh Bhi To Kuch Tadpa Hoga mausam ki pehli baarish mein – sung by Pankaj Udhas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUE2FXOTA7I

• June 6, 2016 at 11:44 pm

Such evergreen songs Balroop. Another of my favorites in Rimjhim gire sawan..Thank you so much for sharing. 🙂

• June 6, 2016 at 12:30 pm

The first drops of rain…the happiness is so much palpable…For the earth and all the earthly beings..:-) A beautiful rain-soaked haiku… 🙂

• June 6, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Love how you can make gloomy weather sound so appealing, Somali. Love it. The ground looking up at the sky, rain and clouds…why not, I suppose the ground gets thirsty and longs for rain quiet a lot of the time 😀

• June 7, 2016 at 12:10 am

Thank you Varnam. ….To have a cup of tea while watching the rain outside is such a delightful thing to do. 🙂

• June 6, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Earth smiles, looking at the glum face of the sky… Sounds so romantic… Just like the first shower! A very beautiful haiku!

• June 7, 2016 at 12:13 am

Thank you Rakesh. I guess we all look forward to the first shower ..but nowadays it doesn’t rain that much in Mumbai as it previously used to..and even a little rain causes water logging.

• June 7, 2016 at 4:39 am

I know. But, still let’s thank God for small mercies! This year it’s getting late too! Hope it rains soon! It’s my favorite season, after winter.

• June 7, 2016 at 1:02 pm

How sweet that earth is trying to keep sky positive! I love the rain, and I love your charming haiku.

• June 7, 2016 at 9:24 pm

First drop of rain … always heavenly 🙂

• June 8, 2016 at 6:45 pm

I have read monsoons are expected in Kerela soon…this haiku came at perfect timing!

• June 11, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Those first few drops of rain after a long dry spell are indeed sweet.. After the second day of constant rain I remind myself how much the earth is need of quenching her thirst.. 🙂
    Lovely poem Somali.. Enjoy your weekend
    Sue <3

• June 16, 2016 at 8:33 am

So true Sue. We take the gifts of nature for granted and only when we don’t get enough of them we do realize how much the earth needs to quench its thirst, Thank you for sharing your views,

• June 12, 2016 at 11:26 pm

I always enjoyed getting wet in rain in childhood days. Even today I always try to do the same if possible. 🙂
    great lines as always. 🙂

• June 16, 2016 at 8:35 am

The joy of getting drenched in the rains forms a part of nice childhood memories. Thank you so much Ashish.

• June 13, 2016 at 4:45 pm

it rained here two days ago and that was the exact feeling, even the summer scorched humans looked up smiling at the glum sky 🙂

• Pingback: You fill up my senses … – pins & ashes

• June 18, 2016 at 9:32 am

The last line made it all the more beautiful Somali 🙂 The picture as beautiful as the lines 🙂

• July 18, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Hi there from Western Australia! I am TJ and I was wondering if you would be interested in being part of a “Haiku Hub” I am thinking of setting up on my blog. If you would like to be included just let me know in a reply and I will add your blog to the Hub Page. I am hoping to get as many Haiku writers together to share their writing. I also host a weekly haiku challenge. In my other life I am a Japanese teacher who has a passion for Japanese poetry and art.

• July 18, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Hello TJ, Thank you for stopping by and for considering my blog for “Haiku Hub”. I have two concerns though. Besides haiku, I write other types of posts as well, which may not fit into the scheme of a Haiku Hub. I also sometimes make my posts private after publishing, which will be odd if the blog is a part of a hub. Please let me know when you start your blog. I will be happy to follow.

• July 19, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by and For the hub I am just thinking of having a list of those who are part of the hub with links to their own blogs. Now and then we can have a haiku share (maybe once a month on a theme or other suitable prompt idea and we can do things like give a profile of different members now and then, writing tips and ideas as we see fit. You don’t have to write haiku only but you are welcome to join the hub anytime. Best wishes! TJ

• July 19, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Lovely! I will be putting up more details hopefully by the end of the week.

• September 11, 2016 at 6:10 am

Lovely little piece of work. I adore rain too!

Thanks for sharing 🙂 Eli.