Lake District

By Somali K Chakrabarti

Lake district, Cumbria

Beneath a dewy sky

quietly the lake flows by

beside the rolling hills;

– over sprawling green meadows

light and mist play hide and seek

© Somali K Chakrabarti, 2016

Lake District is a picturesque mountainous region in the North West England. Rolling hills, green meadows, blooms and lakes make it one of the most beautiful places of the UK. The largest natural lake in England, Lake Windermere, is in Lake district. Close to the lake is the Windermere village, where you can get to experience the quaint English countryside. A walk through the  winding roads of the village, or on the parks with an abundance of trees and flower beds, is a refreshing experience in the summer, as is boating or rafting in the Lakes.

The weather is unpredictable and changes from sunshine to clouds and showers  within no time.  This is the place where Wordsworth lived and drew the inspiration for some his most famous poems including the Daffodils ( I wandered lonely as a cloud). Dove Cottage, the house where Wordsworth lived is in now open to public, as a home museum.

A Tanka is a Japanese poem consisting of 31 syllables in 5 lines, written in the short – long-short- long -long format

Lei: A wreath for your soul  is a string of short poems reflecting on nature, life, illusion and inspiration.Lei

If you believe that any picture on the site infringes your copyright, please inform and it will be removed

1. Can almost see the scene physically.

2. Somali , you almost took me there . So beautifully written as if I am seeing and feeling the picturesque place. I wish I could visit this place . 🙂

3. Lovely composition, a perfect tribute to the beautiful Lake District, one of the most scenic places in England 🙂
    Reminded me of my visit there 🙂

4. Fantastic and vibrant:)

5. Very picturesquely put

6. Serene composition congruous to the place. And the mention of Wordsworth brings vivid imagery further.

7. Such a beautiful poem to describe Lake District. What a view. Though it looks a little glum, it feels peaceful, calm and quiet. I would love to take a walk through that area in the summer, the summer which I’m guessing isn’t really scorching so I might be able to walk with a cup of hot chocolate in my hands 😀

• Thank you Mabel. The idea of walking through the area in summer is excellent. In fact this picture was taken in summer – it wasn’t scorching at all… rather the hill top and lake sides were very breezy and it rained intermittently.

8. Simple words weave magic here!

9. What a beautiful location, Somali! Your tanka does justice to the scenery! Lovely!

10. You hit me at home with this one! My home country 🙂

11. Such a serene place! No wonder it could inspire lovely poetry! As Mabel says, walking by the lake would be great fun…I would love to accompany her! 🙂

12. “Light and mist play hide and seek.” Beautiful words.

13. WoW!!!, Somali…

Such a lovely piece of thought and wonderfully intertwined with picturesque picture.No doubt why such a place has produced greats like Wordsworth. Creative needs inspiration and peace of mind and what I can see in picture it provides much more… the changing weather, the beautiful climate and the intoxicating greenery and the rustic surrounding and the unbridled beauty of the country side village…it is almost a crafted piece of art in the canvas of nature. The way you have described the place, it seems you have been there and experienced those wonderful engagement with nature. Nurturing the senses that needs the freshness and bout of fresh air to give us impetus to take our imagination and thinking to an entirely new world where ideas start taking shape the way we want them to move with our thoughts…inspiration, imagination and articulation are all siblings separated at birth and we act as conductor of orchestra and the symphony is there to be heard and seen what we write and what we paint and how we sing, the art gets the heart to cherish every moment of our engagement with such magical part of nature…

Just loved it…some time we lack words and we depends of words-worth and here I couldn’t get the best of words to present my overwhelming response to the lovely piece of thoughts and picture you have presented…
    Hope you had a lovely Sunday…take care!!!

• Thank you Nihar. Sorry I missed replying to the comment earlier. You have rightly said that a nice environment acts as the perfect catalyst for creative thoughts. Yes I have been there and have many nice memories of the place. 🙂

• Not at all Somali, absolutely no problem, I understand…
        We are yearn for that lovely environment and the lingering inspiration lift our soul and nurture our passion to produce some unique and something special…life indeed is so beautiful.

14. It’s a rhyming tanka and it flows with a spontaneous charm. Simple words are woven together to bring out a picturesque effect… 🙂

Animated Social Media Icons by Acurax Responsive Web Designing Company