Train of Hope

By Somali K Chakrabarti

Train of Hope
Rain,Steam and Speed/JMWTurner/1844

Image Source

Arising from mist

of mind, the train of hope appears

On a track of faith!

“Rain, Steam and Speed – The Great Western Railway” is an oil painting by the 19th century British painter J. M. W. Turner. The painting was first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1844. It is now in the collection of the National Gallery, London.

A Haiku is a Japanese poem consisting of 17 syllables in 3 lines, with 5 syllables in the first and third lines and 7 in the second.

Lei: A wreath for your soul  is a string of short poems reflecting on nature, life, illusion and inspiration.Lei

If you believe that any picture on the site infringes your copyright, please inform and it will be removed

67 thoughts on “Train of Hope

• February 26, 2016 at 9:46 am

A day after the Railway budget “the train of hope appears On a track of faith!” aptly describes the feelings of us all 🙂

• February 26, 2016 at 10:15 am

Hope and Faith on the Train. Wonderful combination Somali as always. You find the right images for your words which makes it even better.

• February 26, 2016 at 11:57 am

Hope arises from the haze of worry to those who have faith in God.A lovely message!

• February 26, 2016 at 12:44 pm

We are all passengers of train of life. Rabindranath Tagore wrote a beautiful poem” E pran rater rail Gari”( The life is like the night train”. You have gifted us a beautiful Haiku along with a oil painting “Rain ,Steam and Speed” by JMW Turner.

• February 26, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Haven’t seen you on here for a while, Somali! nice words and stunning image.

• February 26, 2016 at 9:21 pm

An eternal philosophy presented in the minimum no. of words with the wonderful usage of the classic painting of JMW Turner. I would love to learn this Haiku of yours by heart. You never need more than a handful of words to convey what you purport to convey. And that’s the trait of a genius. Compliments Somali Ji.

• February 27, 2016 at 12:50 am

Finally the train is on track. (Indian Rails). A beautiful Haiku Somali. Very true, only with Hope and faith our train of life runs. . 🙂 Have a great weekend. 🙂

• February 27, 2016 at 3:49 am

Hope and faith, they go hand in hand… and yes, they are often shrouded by the doubts (mist of mind)… wonderful imagery, Somali… 🙂

(think it has nothing to do with the budget 😛 )

• February 27, 2016 at 6:23 pm

So beautiful Somali….mist, hope, faith….and the train ….of thoughts……:)

• February 27, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Very symbolic and very true! Mind is indeed a tunnel. Great haiku, Somali! 👍👍

• February 27, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Somali you have beautifully encapsulated…mist and mind, train and track. Lovely choice of words and each words speaks volumes. And you pick of the painting from 1844, is just magical. I have very little understanding of the abstract painting and try a get a hang of the modern art and I have lot of interest and inquisitiveness to study the color and combination crafted on the canvas but I keep failing being a good interpreter of paintings especially the abstract one.

This train painting emerging out of the mist indeed captures my imagination, perhaps the greatness lies in its simplicity of conceptualizing the idea.

• February 28, 2016 at 12:05 am

Thanks a lot Nihar. Not that I have a great understanding of art but some of them just catch the eyes.

• February 28, 2016 at 8:38 am

I agree Somali, arts are something that keeps questioning our imagination and our ability to interpret something concrete from abstract…
        By the way I was trying to comment in the Goddess and Demon, and the comment section is not showing up…pls check it up.

• February 28, 2016 at 9:26 am

True Nihar. Actually I had closed the comments for a few posts – Goddess and Demon being one of them. 🙂

• February 28, 2016 at 10:35 am

Oh! I see…I was wandering what happened, I thought it may be a technical snag…

Nevertheless, it was a beautiful post and I have always admired Sudarshan Pattnaik’s imagination and his ability to put that imagination into such beauty on sand, indeed leaves his hallmark as a great artist and in such an unique form of artistry…

• February 28, 2016 at 11:08 am

True Nihar. I have only seen the pictures of his creations and have always admired them.
            Btw could you please retrieve my comment on your post from your spam.

• February 28, 2016 at 11:47 am

By the way Somali no such comment is in my spam folder for which post you wrote the comment, will check once again…
            Yes different such art forms adds real variety to the artistic repository.

• February 28, 2016 at 11:53 am

Oh is it? That’s so strange. I wrote it for your latest post on Entrepreneurship. In fact my comments are going to spam in other blogs too so I thought that might be the case.

• February 28, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Don’t worry let me check up and sometime there is a lag between when you post and when it get reflected…strange are the way of technology.

• February 28, 2016 at 2:40 am

I find this particularly beautiful…I can sense the motion of the train and how that ‘Hope’ can deliver you anywhere….

• February 28, 2016 at 9:06 am

The picture does give the feeling of the motion of the train. Thank you for the kind words Maremma.

• March 1, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Even if the future is clouded and uncertain, we must stay on track and proceed onward and forward. Excellent haiku, and the painting illustrates your words perfectly!

• March 2, 2016 at 6:18 am

Loved the metaphor, Somali. Hope, and faith arising from the mists of mind–great imagery.

• March 15, 2016 at 11:57 pm

I actually saw this painting in London. It was tranquil and peaceful with a tiny hint of hidden storms…. Life is a journey… Wonderful painting if you go to London do see it.