Tap the Power of Social Blogging with Affimity

Tell a story. Make it true. Make it compelling. Make it relevant.

If you are a writer or a blogger, you would have come across this advice an umpteen number of times.

But, we all know that telling a good story is just not enough, till it reaches the right audience, who are interested in hearing the story. Like artists, we writers and bloggers also tend to be passionate about our work. We want more and more people to see our amazing creations and, if possible, appreciate those. However, attracting the right audience has never been an easy task!

If you are a technology geek, you may be super excited to discover latest technology gadgets. But when you diligently compile information about these gizmos on your blog and share it on your social media profile, you may often get a lukewarm response from your connections. You can’t really blame your friends if they like to indulge more in Bollywood gossips than to understand the nitty-gritty of technology. Similarly, you may also fret when you receive notifications about all sorts of activities from you friends.

So, if you are one of those who thrives on the likes and shares on social media, you need to find out online groups in which the members share similar interests.

Affimity

The Need for Segmentation

The idea of dividing a market into segments or groups with similar needs, aspirations, interests or motivation is known as ‘segmentation’. Targeting customer groups or segments with products or messages suited to their needs helps to increase the focus of marketing effort for better returns. Segmentation, thus, forms the core of marketing.

The concept of segmentation, when applied to social networking, can prove to be equally effective. When you share something with an audience whose interest or needs match that of yours, they are likely to appreciate your content. This is particularly very useful for content marketers, whose efficiency depends on their ability to present the right content to the right audience.

A few days back, I came across Affimity, a social network which extends the concept of segmentation to social networking. Unlike most of the social networking sites like Twitter or Facebook, which are centred on people we friend or follow, Affimity is a next-gen social network, which is centred around common interests.

Affimity

A Boon for Bloggers

Affimity allows you to join social hangouts – called channels, in which you can curate or post content relevant to the channel. This can be a boon for bloggers because when you share your posts on the appropriate channel, users simply lap up the posts. You can efficiently merge your blog with the power of social network.

Some of the posts that I shared from my blog got more than 100 likes in a few hours. Isn’t it cool to get a new set of audience, on basis of common interests?

With the use of this smart social network, bloggers and users can actually increase their outreach with lesser efforts.  No wonder, Affimty is becoming one of the fastest growing Social Networks in the world.

If this post has interested you, come on join me here on Affimity.

By: Somali K Chakrabarti

Hi there ! I am a management and leadership coach and a ‘çlinical blogger’. Well, that’s what my family & friends call me now ! Here, I tell stories of different brands, how people relate to the brands and the values, beliefs and emotions that they associate with the brands. Hope you enjoy reading my posts.

28 thoughts on “Tap the Power of Social Blogging with Affimity

• February 24, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Hey Somali, I’ve been seeing its praise on other blogs also. I just want to know: Do the likes on Affinity reflect in increase in traffic of your blog? If yes, what’s the average conversion rate?

• February 24, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Well, I am experimenting the same consciously Ravish with this post. I have published it sometime back and shared it on twitter, google+ and affimity. Will tell you tomorrow, So far I don’t see affimity as a traffic source, So I am wondering what exactly does the referral traffic from Affimity show up as.

• February 24, 2016 at 6:18 pm

Copying below what I commented on your post on Affimity’s Digital Life channel…

Interesting construct @Somali . I see something similar on Affimity – an ability to put my thoughts in front of people who have self-selected themselves as interested in the broad conceptual brushstrokes of my thoughts. I get the sense of reaching out to a larger and more targeted audience, than if I published the same thought on a blog or in Medium where it could get lost in the overall clutter. I have been on Affimity for a while now, and see that the social traffic on the various posts is growing, as their audience is growing. Guess it depends on what you want – more people, and more people who are interested in what you are interested in, to see and respond to your thoughts on Affimity’s channels OR more traffic on your blog/ to your Medium post external to Affimity.

• February 25, 2016 at 10:28 am

Thanks for stopping by Peter and copying the comment on the blog. Somehow it went to spam and I just retrieved it. Good to know that your blog traffic is growing with Affimity. The concept of having a focused audience is definitely better. I think that any such group should have a good combination of both readers and writers.

• February 24, 2016 at 8:56 pm

A great post how to sell oneself on the social media and it’s so true how we need to think ahead of the curve.

• February 25, 2016 at 6:54 am

A very informative post for creative writers to know about ‘Affimity’ the social network which has successfully applied the marketing management concept of ‘segmentation’.’Affimity’ seems to be the appropriate social network to cater to the interests of persons of common interests in finding the right channel for expression of their art..

• February 25, 2016 at 2:18 pm

I would like to join. I have penned a novel in Hindi under the murder mystery genre which has been published as e-book and therefore, is available on internet. I have created a Facebook page for that too. All the same, I feel that I have yet to reach the target readers in the desired numbers. Those who have read it, have appreciated it. However I have yet to hit upon my target readership in the true sense.

Same is the case for my movie and book reviews and general articles.

Hearty thanks for the enlightenment.

Jitendra Mathur

• February 25, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Thank you Mr Mathur. You could join the Book Club of Affimity. Though I have some doubts if it has substantial Hindi readership. Is your book available on Kindle Unlimited?

• February 25, 2016 at 6:58 pm

It’s quite helpful if used extensively. But, it’s true that managing so many accounts in different social media portals effectively, is not an easy deal.

• February 26, 2016 at 2:04 am

Somali, very generous of you to share these tips with fellow bloggers. I will check Affinity out:)

• February 26, 2016 at 6:24 am

Thanks a lot Somali for sharing.Will definitely check out the Affinity.:)

Cheers,
    Sriram & Krithiga

• February 26, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Wonderfully put. This post definitely helps newbies like me:P Downloaded the app today. following you:)

• February 26, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Ah – what a discovery this app is! Thanks for letting me know – I’m going on to it right away!
    Trust you to come up with such useful posts SomalI!

• February 28, 2016 at 5:52 am

Thank you Vidya. No harm in trying out. I think that the platform would actually be effective if the number of readers to writers is 5:1. 🙂

• February 26, 2016 at 5:11 pm

So far I have been using Buffer; I wonder if these both do the same thing. Will check it out. Thank you. 🙂

• February 28, 2016 at 5:54 am

Thank you Shantala. Both are slightly different.Though Buffer throws up with suggestions based on your previous posts this is a group where you find posts pertaining to a particular theme.

• February 27, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Yes Somali this is an interesting concept and it seems if properly applied could be a powerful one. Affinity the meaning stands for the concept it is being applied. Just like everything in life it starts being general and goes towards being specific, it starts with a broad idea and then narrows down and get focus on smaller component of the idea. Marketing and segmentation is mirror reflection of the same concept. It is all about discovering the common friends and making the idea reaching the group having similar aspirations and interests.

Let me check out and see how this tool is and I’m sure as highlighted by you, it will bring that segmentation in the social media where things have now become quite scattered and many times reaching out to the right set of readers and make your post count…yes, after all we write to be read and reviewed. It is more than the art of just writing quality post, the science of using technology and makes a great difference.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

• February 28, 2016 at 5:57 am

Thank you Nihar. think for the platform to be effective they would need to maintain ratio of serious readers : writers at 5:1 or higher. That would help in triggering the 80:20 effect for writers and ensure traffic flow into their blogs.

• March 25, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Thanks Somali for sharing this. As you have mentioned it earlier, right in the begining. that its a social network. Which is fine and understandable. Better to start early and reap the benefits.