Pick up a Hobby- Live Life Fantastico

When

You’re jaded, and

want to add a little zest to your life

Pick up a hobby – play a sport, go on a drive,

Listen to music, prime your canvas, or explore wildlife;

Make a change for good, give to the society something back,

Life is not only about making a living, but also about making an Impact

You will never feel lonely, with a passion, a hobby that you love,

While navigating through the life’s crests and troughs;

A peppy interest, much like a Zippy car ride,

Will zing your life, relax your mind

Give it a shot,

Give it a Go

Live Life

#Fantastico!!

Fantastico

There’s no refuting the fact that life can be stressful at times. Whether you are a student, or a teacher, a housewife or a professional, there would be times when the mundaneness of the daily humdrum gets on to the nerves, and you start feeling bored and jaded in life. In such times, you need something to pull you out of the monotony of your routine.

That is precisely why everybody needs a hobby –an activity, which a person pursues out of interest, not out of compulsion.

Hobby

Image Credit

How does it help to have a hobby

As hobbies drive us from within, these are the springboards to recharge our mood on any given day, and also keep us engaged in the long run.

Let’s look at how having a hobby can help you to beat the boredom and add zing and meaning to your life.

Diversion from Stress

DrivingWhen the tedium of the daily routine pulls down your spirits, some diversion can help to deal with the stress. Whether you enjoy working out in the Gym, swimming, playing football, capturing the world in your camera, going for a drive, or racking your brain to solve a crossword puzzle, hobbies can be an enjoyable part of your day that satisfy you, optimally challenge you and brighten up your mood.

Simple hobbies like walking, cycling, or riding a bike or driving to the outskirts of the city in your car can be great stress busters and are also known to decrease depression. Remember how you felt the last time you drove across a beautiful landscape with the fresh breeze caressing your hair and cheeks? I can say for myself that travelling through the countryside invariably peps me up and helps me to unwind.

Zippy_Car

Passion and Creative Satisfaction

Have you ever broken into a jig at the team offsite or hummed your favourite number, played an instrument, painted a picture, or written a story and had people gaping at your dancing, painting, musical or writing abilities? I bet many of you would have taken up one or more of these activities.

HobbyCreative hobbies such as painting, crafts, writing, music or dance, allow you to  focus and be creative without having to deal with the stress and the binding of the workplace. These hobbies provide a big psychological lift and boost work productivity as well.

Travelling as a hobby provides a break from the routine, widens ones perspectives and satisfies the wanderlust in you. For the more adventurous kinds, hobbies such as skydiving, mountain biking, rock climbing, rafting etc. can give the needed adrenaline rush.

Volunteering to teach children or doing social work that has a positive impact on the lives of others enhances a person’s self-confidence and makes people happier.

Optimism, Purpose and Social connections

HobbySoccerSince a hobby provides an outlet for personal expression, the pursuit of such interest can give you something to look forward to, without having to depend on others. A hobby helps you to navigate through the ups and downs of life by keeping you constructively engaged in your spare time, even during the lean periods of life.

Additionally, a hobby helps you to connect with other like-minded people. Playing a game creates social connection between the players. Blogging has helped me to connect with a number of extremely talented bloggers. Learning and experimenting with different formats of writing galvanizes my mind.

Sometimes,when a hobby turns into an alternate career option as we have seen in case of many entrepreneurs, it can become immensely satisfying as well as rewarding. You find a sense of purpose and your work is also the source of your unwinding and relaxation.

There are no two ways about the fact that

Hobbies help in the overall development of personality, and bring zing in life, just like a Zippy Car peps up your drive.

So, what are you waiting for? Sun

Pick up a hobby that stimulates, energizes and relaxes you, and there you go!

Live Life Fantastico!

************

This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Tiagofrom Tata Motors.

Clipart Image Credit

If you believe that any image used on this site infringes your copyright, please inform and it will be removed.

Hey! Say what you want to. Please Like, Share and/or drop in a Comment below!   🙂

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to get new posts by email.

By: Somali K Chakrabarti

Hi there ! I am a management and leadership coach and a ‘çlinical blogger’. Well, that’s what my family & friends call me now ! Here, I tell stories of different brands, how people relate to the brands and the values, beliefs and emotions that they associate with the brands. Hope you enjoy reading my posts.

48 thoughts on “Pick up a Hobby- Live Life Fantastico

• February 6, 2016 at 5:34 am

Thank you Chaitali. I start started Life11 last year with the intention to migrate from wordpress.com. But later I decided to retain both sites separately as I didn’t want to give up the advantages of wordpress.com + I thought it might be better to have this blog focused on branding.

• February 6, 2016 at 5:57 am

A lively post.

• February 6, 2016 at 7:30 am

Here you have given an elaborate explanation ehh. Hobbies are kind of stress busters. I actually got stuck doing too many things.

Well, I hope everyone picks up a hobby that they like and beats stress.

• February 6, 2016 at 9:10 am

I relate a lot to what you say. I have had an array of hobbies, from boxing to charcoal sketching and was able to pursue most of them most of the time. I know the beneficial effects of a hobby on a tired out brain. It really perks up, forgetting the drudgery it just went through. And, who knows! Some of these hobbies may turn out to be a passion! Music and boxing became a passion for me! Still are.

A very beautiful post on something we all know but don’t give a thought to!

• February 6, 2016 at 11:08 am

That’s quite a range of hobbies you have! Lots of creativity punched in together with boxing. Thank you Rakesh.

• February 6, 2016 at 9:17 am

Sorry! The first comment didn’t go through, so had to write all over again. Baad me dekha, dono post ho gaye! 😀

Please ignore one!

• February 6, 2016 at 11:40 am

I like your including ‘developing connections’ as a benefit of hobby. I agree that Connecting over a common hobby is far better than meaningless facebooking or whatsapping

• February 6, 2016 at 11:57 am

Meaningless Facebooking or whatsapping (especially sending volumes of messages in a group) is something I would always prefer to avoid. Thank you so much for stopping by.

• February 6, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Hey Somali… This is another blog of yours? Great.. And very true, satisfaction forms key for happiness, which we get only from a hobby.. Sometimes it becomes an alternative career.. Happy weekend.. 🙂

• February 6, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Yes Jackie, This blog focused on the theme of branding – brand stories, reviews etc. Happy weekend. 🙂

• February 6, 2016 at 1:43 pm

You rightly said that any activity, which is pursued out of interest, not out of compulsion, is stress reliever. I’m of the opinion that one should choose one’s livelihood according to one’s inner calling.

• February 6, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Thank you Ravsh. Though it is ideal to choose one’s livelihood according to one’s inner calling but that may not always be feasible. Yet we can always have some hobbies as per our liking that give us something to look forward to.

• February 6, 2016 at 9:47 pm

I liked the poem in the beginning… very nicely done, Somali… 🙂

We “have to do” the routine-based daily work, while we “like to do” those things related to our different hobbies. The difference in the perception, execution, and the happiness gathered, make hobbies a pleasurable experience. It also rejuvenates our mind and body by mellowing down the discomposure. A hobby or outside interest, most of the times, is rewarding…both to mind and body… 🙂

• February 7, 2016 at 2:10 am

Agreeable post with a beautiful picture made of the relevant words. My hobby is to express my thoughts and feelings through words (in Hindi and English). Hobbies make life easier. Definitely.

• February 7, 2016 at 3:42 am

Thank you Mr Mathur. Your hobby of playing with words nicely balances the demands of your profession for playing with numbers. 🙂

• February 7, 2016 at 2:43 am

Yes..life is just not about making a living but also to make an impact. I too liked the poem in this post like many others….and how you have incorporated all the ‘fantastico’ words in it 😉 🙂

• February 7, 2016 at 4:18 am

Hobbies do make us alive and once we get the taste of it, we keep going back. I have so many hobbies and i do get tied up with work and studies. But ultimately, I realize that I need a stress buster and I take up some activity. Well written Somali 🙂

• February 7, 2016 at 6:49 am

I’m glad that I read the full post 🙂 the post itself is so recharging.. My hobbies always keep me going through the stressful times of my life so I could completely relate to this post.

• February 8, 2016 at 2:58 am

Well-penned Somali! Indeed, we need a hobby to get out of the monotonous routine. Helps in more ways than one!

• February 8, 2016 at 3:33 am

Oh yes, I think hobbies are absolutely crucial to have. Without them we will feel burnt out.

• February 8, 2016 at 3:39 am

There’s nothing quite like a scenic drive to lift up one’s spirits.
    Lately, I’ve been indulging in those ‘adult colouring books too. 😉

Very nice write up, Somali. It really makes us want to dust those hobbies we’ve been ignoring for some time now. I hope you’ve been well. 🙂

• February 8, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Your love for driving is apparent in your blog and adult colouring books are the bestsellers now. Thank you D. I have been good and hope the same for you. 🙂

• February 8, 2016 at 8:06 am

Fantastico indeed!
    ..and the ‘wow’ diamond shape too 🙂

• February 8, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Many thanks Amitji for stopping by and also for informing me about the comment going to spam.. 🙂

• February 8, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Thank you Mridula. That’s the best thing to have happened I guess. Best wishes with your hobby turned career. 🙂

• February 9, 2016 at 10:37 am

The Great Contemporary Philosopher had said once, “Do only those Works which you love a 100% to do in your life!” If my interest and my core work can match, there is nothing else I have to achieve in my life.. Truly the best Poetical Lines I came across which describe the involvement through hobby to the core.. A great Post, Somali..Thanks for sharing such an interesting and educative Post!

• February 16, 2016 at 2:35 am

Hello Somali,

What an awesome and inspiring post! It really makes us realize the importance of having some great hobbies. Having hobbies or doing things that you love to do provide an escape route from an otherwise stressful and monotonous life for sometime. It indeed freshens you up and lifts up your mood. It is really important to fill your life with some fun and if you manage to pick up something that you love doing as a career then it’s a blessing : ” Do what you love and you’ll never have to work another day. ” 🙂

Love the poem and the amazing pictures! 🙂

• February 16, 2016 at 4:00 am

Hello Aunt Mary. Nice to see you on this blog. ” Do what you love and you’ll never have to work another day. ” This quote is one of my favorites. Thank you so much for sharing your views. 🙂

• February 22, 2016 at 10:04 am

Live life fantastico! — YES!! I admire your upbeat attitude and undeniable talent. xo

• March 31, 2016 at 8:27 am

When your passion becomes your profession then you are more likely to achieve your potential. However, one shouldn’t get fooled that just by turning your hobby into your profession is easy. It has to be slowly built up to the level when one can take the plunge full time. I too have been following my passion full time since 2012. It is a tough ride, no doubt. It tests your belief on yourself and also your passion.

Are you ready to put in those last bit of your savings while in this journey? Are you going to bet on yourself till the last? Not many do so. I have seen many classmates of our MBA batch leave their jobs and then go back to their jobs again on one or other pretext. Despite being tough, it is extremely enjoyable.

Feed your passion with ten thousand hours of effort and then you will be smiling all the way.

• March 31, 2016 at 5:37 pm

I completely concur with your views that one is likely to toil more willingly when passion becomes profession, but it requires a humongous amount of effort and persistence to make it a success. Thank you Mr Patra for stopping by and for sharing your views.