Delhi November

By Somali K Chakrabarti

Delhi

Image Credit : www.skymetweather.com

Under smoky, smoggy skies

people pass by, a nip in the air

summer loses hold;

The city prepares for a date with

the brazen, windy, chilly, winter cold.

A Tanka is a Japanese poem consisting of 31 syllables in 5 lines, with 5 syllables in the first and third lines and 7 in the others.

**  ‘Lei: A wreath for your soul‘, is a string of short poems reflecting on nature, life and emotions. It can be bought for FREE on 4th , 5th Dec, 2015 on http://getbook.at/Lei

Please download the book if you wish to and have the time and post a review on Amazon/ Goodreads if you like the book.

Lei

If you believe that any picture on the site infringes your copyright, please inform and it will be removed

Please like, share and/or leave feedback in comments below! :P

1. I love your poetry!

2. bhudeb chakrabarti November 25, 2015 @ 1:40 pm

A nice Tanka of November Delhi.

3. Lovely poem, Somali. My favourite part was “a date with…” Unless we like cold, I don’t think many of us like feeling the numbness and chills that come with winter. I’m a summer person, and never look forward to winter 😀 I didn’t know it can get that smoggy in Delhi. That is quite a lot of population, but I’m sure it still is a beautiful city 🙂

• Thank you Mabel. Parts of Delhi are very well planned but the pollution levels are very high and increasing by the day ..so it gets smoggy. The winters are windy, cold and harsh…it is a city of extreme climate.

4. Brrr…..! Time for hot cups of tea, savoured within the warm confines of a quilt!!

5. Delhi November…perfectly portrayed… 🙂

6. You have painted a very benevolent picture of my city, where I have spent almost 35 years of my life. I am sure you don’t know Delhi November Somali…it is much much worse, not the cold but the smog. The pollution of Diwali and the onset of cold weather mingle to create havoc…cold and cough rampage the streets and sun refuses to come out, giving more power to the cloud of haze. People wait for the rain to come and burst this cloud and get some respite.

• Hi Balroop ..good to know that you are from Delhi. Its my hometown too. 🙂
      Smog is there but its not so cold this time. The days are sunny and pleasant .. it gets a little colder in the evening and night. But since I settled down in Mumbai, I started finding the Delhi winters very harsh particularly in Dec, Jan.

7. As a non-Delhi-ite, I can say that this scene is so beautifully portrayed in so few words Somali. Exact thoughts when one visits Delhi this time of year 🙂

8. The city prepares for a date with

the brazen, windy, chilly, winter cold.
    Beautiful Tanka Somali ji !!

9. Lovely! I’m missing Delhi!

10. A date with winter and fog beautifully narrated.

11. Reminded me of my days in Noida and Gurgaon. You have given it a chilling feel too…just perfect for my nostalgia😊

12. Winter was and is my favorite season. Followed by rains. A very beautiful Tanka and as usual a stunning pic. Love the fogs, which give one the feeling of a minor god! Walking through the clouds, while surveying the freezing world! 😀

So captivating!

• Thank you Rakesh. Walking through the clouds, while surveying the freezing world is captivating only when one is sufficiently warm and covered…for others it is really painful.

• Yes. That’s absolutely right. Adversity is an adventure only when we are secure. Otherwise it’s an ordeal. 😀

Anyway, it cannot rob off the beauty of winter, the land burnishing in the morning sun with us shivering in warm clothes!

Boy! You reminded me of those freezing winters in Benaras and Kolhapur!

13. “utsukushi” thats Japanese for lovely!
    Felt the cold of Delhi through your Tanka!

14. How I love the beginning! Your poetry are one of the finest☺