Badami Caves – Splendor in Rocks

By Somali K Chakrabarti

Diwali, is the festive time that brings in happiness and cheer. It is also the time, for long weekends. To make good use of this long Diwali weekend, we started out on a road trip from Mumbai towards Karnataka. My endless fascination for rocks, caves and historical monuments drove us to the heritage sites of Badami and Hampi.

Starting out in the morning at 7.45 AM, we drove to Pune via Mumbai Pune Expressway and then took the National Highway NH4. By the time we reached Belgaum, it was 5.30 PM in the evening. We had decided to stop over at a hotel in Belgaum for the night.

Next day morning we took the Bachi – Raipur state highway upto Lokapur, and then hit the road to Badami. This stretch of the road passes through the countryside. It is best covered during the daylight as it can get confusing for travelers who are not familiar with the route. Relying heavily on the Google Maps we drove by. A few marigold and sunflower fields on the way presented a pretty sight.

Sunflower fields, Karnataka

By the noon we reached Badami. Checking in at the Karnataka State Tourism guest house, located near the caves, we had a quick lunch and headed for the caves, with pointers from the manager on the sites worth seeing. The narrow congested lanes in Badami, with cluster of houses on both sides, gave little idea of the wonderful heritage that lies behind.

Majestic Rocks

On reaching the site, I was wonder struck at the sight of the majestic rocks and the caves carved out within the rocks.

Badami Hills

The natural shape of the rocks is such that it appears that the rocks have been painted and carefully joined one on top of the other. Some rocks look as if they have been washed in a stream of colours.

Now an archaeological site, Badami was once the capital of the ancient Chalukya dynasty from the 6th to 8th century AD. During this period, the place had gained prominence when the Badami Chalukyas, attracted by the scenic beauty and grandiose hills, made Badami their capital and gave patronage to the art and architecture.

Sculptures and Temples

The caves excavated in rocks exhibit the craftsmanship of the period. The caves have a verandah, a pillared hall and a small sanctum sanctorum excavated into the centre of the rear wall. Life size sculptures of gods and goddesses are found in the walls of the cave, while the pedestal and ceiling are flanked by small carvings. The inscriptions in the caves indicate the royal patronage.

Badami Sculptures

From the open courtyard in the front of the caves, one gets a panoramic view of Badami lake, the city and some ancient temples. Bhootnatha temple and the museum. Here’s a view of the greenish lake dominated by high red sandstone rocks on three sides.

Badami LakeBhootnath temple, BadamiBadami Temple

In the museum, I came to know that the rocky land forms around Badami were also home to the prehistoric man. The rocks provided ample scope for them to develop their art, which can be seen in the form of prehistoric paintings and the pre- historic tools found in and around the area.

Mind the Monkeys

Many monkeys dwell in the caves so it is not advisable to carry any food stuff inside. The monkeys have an acute sense of detecting the presence of food, even when it is hidden. It was apparent when a monkey chased a group of boys and pulled out a bag of puffed rice hidden under a boy’s T- shirt.

Monkey Business

I felt a tug on my bag and found that a monkey was trying to pull it, but somehow it went away on its own maybe sensing the absence of any food stuff inside. We offered prayer at the Banashankari temple before going back to the hotel.

Early next morning, we left Badami and headed for Hampi with stopovers at Pattadakal and Aiholi. I will cover these two in my next post.

1. Badami is a must visit site except for the rogue monkey who gave me a few anxious moments.

2. Nice to read your post, Beautiful photos

3. Beautiful pics….Monkeys will be monkeys….:)

4. Beautiful photos… India has a lot to explore and cherish 🙂

5. Beautiful pics and an informative post.

6. Nice piece. Look forward to the upcoming ones!

7. Stunning! Love those photos.

8. Very nice description. Beautiful pictures. India has so many beautiful places to see. So full of history. Great.

9. So, it was a long road trip. I love such long drives 😀 Great to see the rocks and the contrast of colours is amazing. I’m a mountain person too (though that doesn’t mean I don’t like seasides) and it always gives me an awe to look at these majestic mountains.
    Nice pictures and thanks for the information. I wish to visit this place someday 🙂

10. Great to learn about Badami caves… Outstanding natural beauties… Truly stunning….
    Sending best wishes for a great week ahead. Aquileana ★🌟

11. Sounds like you had a great trip to the Badami Caves, and good to hear you got away for a bit. It must have been a fun occasion for the festive season. Beautiful photos and the rocks certainly look majestic, and splendid. Those monkeys sound very cheeky. Perhaps they are hungry and they think that us humans are very generous but a bit shy with sharing 😀

• Thank you Mabel. Yes a fun occasion indeed..change in the regular environment and schedule and seeing different places is a welcome change. About the monkeys ..maybe that’s what they think, and they show a lot of attitude. 😀

12. Hi Somali,

I felt I was there with you in the car…so much for the vivid description and the lovely pictures. Car trip with family is great fun, a nice time for bonding, sitting close by, looking at the landscape, chatting, munching and sleeping…sounds so nostalgic!
    Thanks for sharing.

13. bhudeb chakrabarti November 16, 2015 @ 11:12 am

A wonderful travelogue.

14. Informative post and lovely pictures.

15. I am going green with envy somali at your enchanting visit to Hampi…a spectacular temple seeped in history brought alive by your brilliant narrative and lovely pics to boot!

• He he ..thank you Sunita. If I have tempted you enough, you would be planning a trip sometime soon. 🙂
      In case you are wondering why I say so, it is because I too had read about Hampi in a blog post a couple of months back and planned the trip the moment I got the chance.

16. Its on my list!!! Thanks so much for sharing this post:) it only pushes me further to visit Badami soon :)Lovely pics!

17. Your vivid descxription always helps me get the feel of the jourrney and the place. Lovely pics.

18. It was like actually taking the tour.. 🙂

19. Lovely road trip.Glad that you visited these places.Thanks for the virtual tour.

Cheers,
    Sriram & Krithiga

20. Very nice description Somali ji . Beautiful pictures.In fact India has so many beautiful places to visit and to praise . Great post

Animated Social Media Icons by Acurax Wordpress Development Company