Cafe Coffee Day – from bean to the cup

Catching up with friends over a cup of coffee is a delightful proposition for most people. Realizing the need for young people to hangout in an ambient atmosphere, the brand that pioneered the café culture in India is Café Coffee Day or CCD (as we know it).

CCD logo

From bean to the cup

Starting with its first café in Bangalore, in 1996, CCD took about six years to build up to 35 outlets by 2002.  The next six years saw rapid growth, with the number of CCD outlets increasing to 595 by 2008. In 2012, the count stood at 1400 outlets. CCD is now the largest coffee retail chain in India.

The CCD chain is run by Coffee Day Global Ltd, formerly Amalgamated Bean Company owned by VG Siddhartha, which is among India’s top two coffee producers and exporters. Born into a family of land owning farmers from Chikmaglur, Siddhartha realized that the real value addition was in converting the beans into the perfect coffee drinking experience. That set the direction for the company.

A vertically integrated company, it does all activities needed for bringing the coffee ‘from bean to the cup’. This includes owning plantations, growing coffee, and even making coffee machines and furniture for the outlets. The vertical integration helps in reducing cost and gaining economies of operation.

For the young at heart

CCD cappucino

At a CCD café, you’ll find a youthful ambience, with juke boxes, hot and cold coffee, pastries, brownies, smoothies etc. In addition, some cafés have merchandise such as coffee powders, cookies, mugs, coffee filters, etc.

These outlets are not just coffee-drinking places, but are hangouts for college going students and young working professionals. The quieter ones sometimes serve as an occasional meeting place for corporate.

The brand has a wide reach and penetration in India, with outlets on inter –city highways, and at religious places. In addition to this, the company has CCD Express (kiosks for take-away) and vending machines in offices.

Different Formats

With 1600+ outlets across 28 states in India, CCD, the largest coffee retail chain in India, brand now faces competition from the likes of Starbucks, Costa Coffee, Gloria Jeans, Barista and Mocha.

To keep up with the growing competition CCD further launched two other formats, The Lounge and CCD Square, to target different segments.

The premium format Square, aimed at coffee connoisseurs, offers single-origin coffee, prepared using classic beans sourced from a single estate in one country. You have a choice of international coffees of different origins like Columbia, Guatemala, and also from specific estates in India. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is also served in addition to coffee.  This format, limited in numbers, is found only in a few cities and mainly caters to the corporate circle.

Positioned midway between the regular cafes and the exclusive Square format, is the Lounge, which is targeted at office going crowd and families. A typical Lounge would be seen at the airport or a premium mall, and is about 25-30 percent more expensive than a regular CCD outlet. Here the beverage is paired not just with fast food but also with gourmet cuisine.

The brand has established its international presence via 16 outlets in Pakistan, Austria, the Czech Republic and Malaysia and UAE.,and its parent company Coffee Day Enterprises Ltd, of which Coffee Day Global Ltd is a subsidiary has filed for an IPO in July, 2015.

Interestingly, a story in Forbes mentioned that VG Siddhartha, the recluse founder of CCD, spent a New Year eve at a CCD outlet near Calcutta’s Woodburn Street. Wearing the CCD uniform, he engaged in serving customers, greeting and seating them, taking their orders and settling their cheques. Now, that’s something exceptional, isn’t it?

Image credit: From the Twitter timeline of Cafe Coffee Day (@CafeCoffeeDay)

If you believe that any image used on this site infringes your copyright, please inform and it will be removed.

Hey! Say what you want to. Please Like, Share and/or drop in a Comment below!   🙂

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to get new posts by email.

By: Somali K Chakrabarti

Hi there ! I am a management and leadership coach and a ‘çlinical blogger’. Well, that’s what my family & friends call me now ! Here, I tell stories of different brands, how people relate to the brands and the values, beliefs and emotions that they associate with the brands. Hope you enjoy reading my posts.

19 thoughts on “Cafe Coffee Day – from bean to the cup

• September 8, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Yes sir, unheard of these days in India, In earlier times old Parsi restaurant owners in South Mumbai would go around their restaurants to look after the guests and take feedback. But doing this after reaching such a stature is rare. Thanks for stopping by,

• September 8, 2015 at 7:05 pm

Wonderful post giving the full story of CCD. Tea is my favourite drink hence I had not much idea about CCD. Thanks

• September 9, 2015 at 6:30 am

Nice post, Somali! Thanks for the info about one of my favorite brands. The CCD Lounge here in Saltlake Sector V Kolkata is really a nice place to chill out in sober, relaxing ambiance. The ambiance is what makes CCD stand out.

• September 9, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Thanks Moon. Yes a cool place to chill out. We have a CCD Lounge at our colony. It is mostly flanked by all youngsters.

• September 9, 2015 at 11:05 am

A very enjoyable read .

• September 9, 2015 at 4:07 pm

CCD has made a brand for young & hip. But I personally like the aroma and taste of Costa Coffee, not to mention their blueberry muffin.
    D’you know that all attendants there are mute and deaf? Yet they remain cheerful and attentive to customers.

• September 9, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Well I also like the blueberry muffin. 🙂 And yes, I know that the attendants there are deaf and mute…and serve with a smile.

• September 10, 2015 at 3:27 pm

No formalities needed among friends! I enjoyed the read.
        P.S: Reader does not permit me to post a reply, but gives me error message. I need to travel to your website to post replies to earlier comments. Is there anything in your setting that blocks replies? Do check, please.

• September 10, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Yeah I know there’s a problem that keeps recurring, and then goes off on its own. Will check .:)

• September 10, 2015 at 8:15 pm

I really loved the ambience of CCD. The ‘Devil’s Own’ is my all time favourite and I generally have it every time I’m there at CCD. 😀

The founder serving and interacting with customers…. it’s really great. Thanks for sharing the trivia…. 🙂

• September 11, 2015 at 4:19 am

Thank you Maniparna. Now with the competition going up, I guess CCD will have to further up their game. 🙂

• September 12, 2015 at 11:01 am

Ah! CCD! My first perk with the coffee experience in Pune..just love my iced Arab Eskimo, the jazzy atmosphere..that was in early 2000s. Being an Indian family settled abroad, when I reached Pune, I went gaga over CCD and naturally moved to Barista, reading a book on a Sunday…My fav remains the one at Bandstand in Mumbai…fav Barista would be at Gateway near Hanuman Mandir, Colaba, Bandstand and of course, the bestest at Shivaji Nagar at Dadar.

• September 13, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Thank you Vishal. I can see that CCD being the Indian equivalent of Starbucks would have been attractive for you. Barista of course is the next level of progression. Now we have a lot more choices . 🙂

• September 14, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Great Read….I am very fond of CCD…and reading its brand story was really great…even though Starbucks, Gloria Jeans have come up..still I think CCD has a different customer base who would stick to it. I personally find Starbucks way to expensive.

• September 15, 2015 at 1:20 am

Thanks Balaka. Prefrence for a particular brand and wanting to stick to it is what brand loyalty amounts to. So you appear to be a CCD loyalist 🙂