How do you Motivate yourself everyday?

By Somali K Chakrabarti

People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” – Zig Ziglar

This quote by Zig Ziglar sounds funny for sure, but, hey read it again and you’ll not only find yourself agreeing with it, but may also follow up with the question ‘How do we motivate ourselves?

Motivation

External factors such as recognition or rewards are a great source of motivation, but unfortunately we cannot always depend upon external triggers to find motivation. As a matter of fact, we have to face setbacks, deal with rejections, and yet we need to keep going.

So, how do we motivate ourselves in the absence of external triggers?

Needless to say that we need to find motivation within. That being said, it is not so easy to train our minds to seek motivation; for we need to spend time conditioning ourselves.

“It is not so easy to find happiness with ourselves and it is not possible to find it elsewhere” ~ Anais Nin    [Tweet this]

Here are a few ways for developing a mind-set that allows you to rewire your brain to seek motivation within:

1. Develop a To-Be Vision

While it is not possible for us to have a definite picture of how the future would shape up, or where we would be say 3 – 5 years down the line, yet, we all have our idea of a best life, depending upon what we want from life and our potential to achieve that.

The concept of a To-Be vision is like a compass that sets the direction for your choices and actions that lead you towards your idea of a best life. Doing something every day that takes you nearer to your To-Be vision sends affirmative signals to the brain.

Footprint Motivation

You can begin by deliberating upon questions such as:

• What is my idea of an ideal day? How sustainable it is?
  • What do I foresee myself doing in the next 3, 5 or 10 years?
  • What do I value most in life?
  • What would I hate losing?
  • What footprints will I like to leave behind?

Even, without a To-Be vision, doing something that helps us to grow intellectually, emotionally, or spiritually adds on to our confidence and serves as a means of self-reinforcement.

2. Know your strengths

Making a list of your strengths that you have developed from all your previous roles, makes you conscious of them and gives you the confidence that while you may not have all the answers but you’ll be able to find them by putting your strengths to use.

Your previous successes convince your brain that you are capable of doing great things and that the probability of great things coming in future is very likely.

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within ~ Maya Angelou [Tweet this]

Inner strength

3. Re-frame your self talk

This is not the same as denying the problems, but looking at them as opportunities or challenges to be overcome.

“Talk to yourself at least once in a Day. Otherwise you may miss a meeting with an EXCELLENT person in this World.’ ~ Swami Vivekananda

Self talk

Unlike birds that are powered by their sense of direction (Compass), we need to rewire our brain to find and set our direction, and move towards it.

Finally, it pays to remember that

“Motivation will almost always beat mere talent.” ~ Norman Ralph Augustine

How do you find your motivation?

-> Image source

If you like the post, please consider following the blog for email updates.

Please like, share and/or leave feedback in comments below! :P

1. Very nice post and helpful!

2. Good one 🙂 We do need such reminders!

3. Thank you for the motivation Somali. Best is Swami Vivekananada’s quote about talking with oneself.

4. Great post👍🌻❤️

5. great post… very inspiring and motivational one… the quotes are very motivating… 🙂

6. brilliant one there somali! jeez u caught me there with the first quote itself! 😀 itself..

7. bhudeb chakrabarti August 26, 2015 @ 11:52 am

An enlightening post on motivation with excellent quotes on the subject .

8. I like this quote by Zig Ziglar a lot. It really made me refect on the idea of motivating oneself daily.
    And the supporting ideas you shared were really good.
    Happy blogging!

9. Wow Somali.. Very motivating… Very well written.. External triggers are hard to come nowadays, so internal triggers are the best way to motivate ourselves. Just to do what we love without any second thought. And the quotes are very inspiring..

10. too nice……liked the post very much !

11. Very inspiring post! Love it! It’s good to take it step by step, and make our way towards what we want to achieve. Thanks for sharing!

12. Wow!
    A very encouraging post.
    The quotes are just awesome! 😊

13. fantastic suggestions Somali.

14. great post Somali ji , very inspiring and motivational one. But I mentioned it in other way , it is lubrication of my mind and I always said my students that if you want to be success you should open your mind windows slowly slowly . and I think to motivate our self is to do the things you like most !!

15. That’s an inspiring post and many times we need such reminders. Thanks for sharing!

16. Very well written. A life without a purpose is meaningless.

17. The self talk one. I guess that’s more effective. 🙂 We sure need daily motivation. May be its the environment and we get diluted very quick.

Nice post! 🙂

18. Wonderfully motivating post. 🙂

19. Exactly what I need! Thanks for reading Somali. 😀

20. Glad that i already follow this advice of finding motivation within myself.

I have always believed that one can find inspiration from outside, but after that motivation to proceed further has to be from within 🙂

21. Brilliant points here. Self-talk and knowing one’s forte help a person to find the required spark within. External motivation, as you’ve said, is hard to find sometimes and, it’s our duty to make ourselves moving. Motivation beats mere talent- I loved this quote for it is absolutely true! I’ve seen such instances in my life.

You’ve really made it a nice and inspirational post by using the three-in-one method 😀

• Thank you Maniparna. True its our own responsibility to keep ourselves motivated to get moving . If we don’t, how can we expect others to motivate us on a regular basis?
      3 – in 1 method – that’s a nice way of putting it. 🙂

22. I so needed a dose of it this morning….thanks for sharing

23. Indeed a motivational post!

24. Your words motivate us for sure.. 🙂

25. The post is itself so motivating! You have touched the most sensitive chords :’)

26. Excellent motivating posts. I hope you interact with students, they will definitely benefit.

27. Very motivational! Something we desperately need to survive in this competitional age. Thanks a lot, Somali!

28. Great reading!
    You have touched the raw nerve… how does one motivate oneself
    As a matter of fact, I was writing something in the similar lines and maybe I will complete that soon.

29. it’s one of my fav quotes!! 🙂

30. I believe in self-motivation, training yourself despite all those modern distractions and developing concentration is the key to remain motivated. Reading good literature also helps. Since we do all good things under compulsion, redefine your goals and set your priorities. Then follow them religiously. A day comes when others start taking inspiration from your motivated self.

31. Intrinsic motivation works better. But to fuel that motivation one does need some external TLC too. Some days when you are feeling down, it is your loved ones who give you a boost and get you going. Other days, you may just be feeling on top of the world. It is important to set goals and also keep re-aligning them.

• True Rachna. When external triggers aw available, of course they fuel motivation, but even in absence of external triggers, it becomes all the more necessary that we find ways to motivate ourselves to keep going.

32. in this taxing life, it gets so difficult to stay motivated and sometimes it gets difficult to come back on the same happy and energetic side of ownself, this article is so helpful

33. Nice post Somali. I love that quote by Zig Zaglar. Both internal and external motivation play a long and strong role in shaping a person and his internal strength. The internal motivation provides a great sense of completion while the external one provides a great surge of energy for immediate action. The balance between the two promises an extraordinary life in the making.

• Thanks Vinay. Yes its the best when there are external morivators in addition to the internal ones. However even in absence of external motivation if one remains motivated, nothing can beat it. 🙂

34. A wonderful and helpful article, Somali 🙂

35. Good post. To motivate myself I visualize the outcome of what I want to happen and then visualize what would happen if I don’t do anything. That right there will give me enough motivation to shoot for the stars.

36. Very valid points, neatly and succinctly explained. I have always found this specific quote about talking to oneself by Vivekananda, extremely relevant esp to the modern age.

I was in fact discussing today with a colleague that for thousands of years Indic thought has stressed the need to look within ourselves for answers. When we strip away everything only That one truth remains, and that one truth is the Source of Infinite motivation.

Unfortunately modern day focus is external – ostentatious display of wealth, belligerence when it comes to displaying one’s faith externally with facial markers or color coded cloths and caps etc etc.

All this is driving us farther and farther away from discovering our true self and talking to it. Great souls like Shankaracharya, Ramakrishna, Vivekananda had discovered through deep introspection the true nature of Self, the import of “aham brahmasmi” and “tat tvam asi”. That’s why they were such great motivators and within themselves they discovered an unending fountain of motivation.

Great post! Makes one think.

• Thanks for this wonderful insight Subhodeep. We average humans need a social fabric for support, so while it may be natural to find external morivators, however even in absence of external morivators we need to seek motivation internally to be truly resilient.

37. Somali, a sense of responsibility helps to keep motivated to achieve goals.

• Thank you Lata. You’re so right. A sense of responsibility gives meaning and purpose to life and keeps us going. That’s why perhaps as soon as a major responsibility is discharged, we often sense a vacuum till we develop some other sense of responsibility or engage ourselves in a hobby.

38. The 3 Points are the right Points to be remembered.. An Inspiring Post, Somali.. Thanks for brining it out in time!

39. A very useful post for everybody. You have compiled good points and nice quotes.

40. Soooo inspiring ! Thanks for sharing

41. These days my motivation comes from my sense of duty.What is my role in life,how i want to evolve,what needs to change–these are a few of the questions which motivate me .

• Thanks Indu. Sense of responsibility is an intrinsic motivator that inspires you/us to discharge the responsibilities. May be that is the reason why after a major responsibility gets done, some sort of a vacuum comes in till we again involve ourselves in something else.

42. Good pointers for a daunting task. Helpful.

43. The quotes are very true and effective!! 🙂