Global Pagoda at Gorai

By Somali K Chakrabarti

A visit to the malls on the weekends has almost become like a ritual for us. The routine stopovers at malls either for shopping or for watching movies, often gets monotonous. So when I saw the beautiful pictures of Global Pagoda (near Esselworld), posted on the Mumbai Daily blog, I made up my mind to plan out a weekend trip to the Pagoda.

The weather being pleasant yesterday, we set out for the Pagoda in the afternoon. The Pagoda stands near Gorai beach on the outskirts of Mumbai. Driving down on the Western Express Highway, we took a left turn at Dahisar on the Mira Bhayandar Road.

Global Pagoda at Gorai, near Esselworld in Mumbai

From a distance we could see the gigantic dome of the pagoda that appeared like a bell with its stem reaching out to the sky. Following the signboard, we took the road that leads to Esselworld and reached the Pagoda, which is at a short distance from the gate of Esselworld.

Global Vipassana Pagoda

A picture of serenity away from the hustle and bustle of Mumbai, the impressive Pagoda stands amidst vast open space covered with greenery, making a picturesque site.

The words Myanmar Gate written at the entrance arch of the Pagoda indicates Burmese influence on its architecture.  On entering we come to know that the Pagoda is designed as a replica of the Shwedagon Pagoda of Yangon, Myanmar.

pagoda-mumbai

The statue of Buddha in a seated meditative posture smiles peacefully.

The 325 feet high massive central dome structure, supposed to be the biggest of its kind in Asia, is constructed by interlocking stones without the use of any pillars. The genuine relics of the Buddha are said to be enshrined here.

We climb up the stairs to see the meditation hall. The huge meditation hall, constructed under the dome structure has an unobstructed seating capacity of 8000 people. Intricate Burmese design patterns are carved on the canopy, pillars and walls.

Constructed over a sprawling area, the complex was inaugurated in 2009 and took 11 years to finish.

Vipassana – The art of stress management

An elderly person briefs us about the construction of the temple, its purpose and the practise of Vipassana, an ancient meditation technique that helps in  reducing stress levels and in attaining a peaceful state of mind.

Based on the premise that agitation and peace cannot co-exist, Vipassana teaches the technique for managing stress and conflict. Since we don’t have a choice of the kind of people we get to deal with and dealing with some people can be stressful, it helps to know how not to react in the face of provocation. Vipassana provides the learners with the skill to deal with all types of situations in life — with serenity, tranquillity, and equanimity.

A 10 day intensive course taught at the Vipassana centre helps to establish a healthy connection between mind and body.

The person tells us that we may strike the bell of peace thrice, to indicate our wish to come back again.

Global Pagoda, Gorai

Global Vipasana Pagoda

We take a stroll around the meditation centre, and click some pictures. The breeze feels nice and the lush green surroundings appear soothing to the eyes. After seeing the books and paintings in the  library, we stopover at the canteen for a cup of tea.

While coming out we strike the gong thrice.

If you like the post, please consider following the blog for email updates.

1. Wow such a wonderfully serene oasis in the hustle and bustle of Mumbai sounds like a dream. So well written too. Wonder how many Mumbaikars will be aware of this, just a short drive away from them 🙂

• Yes sir, even if one doesn’t want to learn Vipassana, it is a good and peaceful place to unwind on the weekend. I came to know that after Kiran Bedi did Vipassana, she recommended it for prisoners at Tihar , due to its calming effect.

2. It doesn’t look to be in Mumbai. Can there be such a serene place amidst the hustle & bustle of Mumbai! It’s great to find such a place. Nice pictures.

3. Wow the place is so pleasant and peaceful. I love the images. The concept of Vipassana sounds good. 🙂

4. Nice write up with wonderful shots.Looks like a calm place.Love to go there and relax.

5. Lovely captures, Somali. Vipassana Meditation is very effective tool in Stress Management. Beautifully presented. 🙂

6. Surprisingly no crowds!

7. bhudeb chakrabarti July 13, 2015 @ 2:34 pm

Although I lived at Mumbai and now I visit the City often ,I am yet to see the beautiful Golden Pagoda at Gorai ,Mumbai designed on the lines of Shwe Dagon Pagoda Myanmar .I am eager to visit the Golden Pagoda so beautifully described by you .Vipassana Centre of the Golden Pagoda will be an added attraction .The images of the Golden Pagoda Complex are magnificent .

8. This is beautiful! I shall surely visit if I ever come to Mumbai 🙂

9. A great post indeed!
    Loved it, Somali 🙂 Thank you 🙂

10. Wow..yes, I, too, recently saw the pictures on Deepakji’s blog. It really looks like a great place…. adding it to my list…. 🙂

11. The photographs and description of this shrine is so beautifully done. Recently I visited Sarnath ,also a famous Buddhist shrine near Varanasi. Somali I can’t explain so beautifully as in your post, but I must say,the greenery, the vastness ,the stupa and the tall statue of Buddha all are beyond my description. Peaceful environment .
    I will definitely see this Pagoda ,in my next visit to Mumbai.

12. Nice place to visit on a weekend. Do not club with a visit to Essel World or Water Kingdom. Excellent ambiance.

13. Beautiful pagoda. Good to see something like this in Mumbai.

14. Beautiful pictures. Such a calm and serene place. Such places always attract me. A nice post, Somali 🙂

15. So beautifully presented..loved the pictures! 🙂

16. I too had seen this Pagoda first on Deepak’s blog. You have not only captured it beautifully but also narrated your experience so well. i have enjoyed reading about it, Somali. Very informative post indeed.

17. I had visited this Pagoda about 3 years back when I visited Mumbai. My brother’s place is relatively close to this. You have to take a ferry to approach it from the beach. It is quite an imposing structure. When we had visited, they were not allowing any visitors inside hence we just took a look and came back.

18. For a moment I couldn’t believe it is in Mumbai. Lovely captures, wish I was there.

19. Indeed a very serene place to give relief from the stressful city life.

20. a replica of the Shwedagon Pagoda of Yangon, Myanmar.Very Nice and holy serene Somali Ji . Never been in Mumbai but the pictures from Mumbai calling me as soon as possible . very attractive pictures and definetely a lovely place for weekend .

21. Unbelievable! It’s such a serene place amidst the cacophony that Mumbai is usually associated with. One of my friends is a strong believer of Vipassana. She says it works wonders.

Beautiful captures.

22. Archana Kapoor July 15, 2015 @ 5:20 am

awesome Somali 🙂 loved the pics…

23. Oh, so it’s near Essel World!
    I swear, Mumbai Daily made me want to see it to. Great pictures of the pagoda, Somali. It’s such a treat to see more of this place. Thank you.

24. Loved the post to bits…the pictures, your experience and the information…all complete. I too recollect reading about it on Deepak ji’s blog 🙂 awseome!!

25. I so agree that visiting the pagoda is a wonderful alternative! Beautiful pictures.

26. Oh I have heard so much about Vipasana Somali. I wanted to try that out last year but unfortunately got caught up in something else. Seems like a perfect way for stress release..

27. It seems like a lovely place. . The pics are so beautiful