Voice of Nature- Dream of harmony between humans and nature

By Somali K Chakrabarti

Nature has always been a source of wonder and woe, prospect and peril, delight and danger.  ~ Voice of Nature

Do you remember the fables in which the  trees, animals and birds talk among themselves, and also mingle with humans as if they were living in a seamless world?

I am talking about the kind of world that is depicted in children’s magazines such as Champak, (widely popular in North India)  or the world that you see in the Disney movies or in Chronicles of Narnia.

What if you suddenly discover that you had the gift of understanding what the birds and animals are talking about? Won’t you be interested to peep into their world?

So when Haiku, a small boy finds out on one fine day that he can comprehend the talks of the Mogli, a white tiger caged in Nanadankanan Zoo, in the city of Bhubaneshwar, he is intrigued. To his amazement and amusement, he further realizes that he can make out the conversations of a tiny bird called Kuki, and can even talk to the ancient Banyan tree in the zoo.

voice of nature
Image credit : http://www.steamcardexchange.net/

Haiku befriends the white tiger, the bird and the Banyan tree. Kuki flies from place to place and narrates her observations and the wise Banyan tree puts them in perspective. Listening to Mogli, Kuki, and the Banyan tree, Haiku understands the desires and concerns of the animals and plant world. In the process, he gathers the wisdom from the old Banyan tree that has been around for the last 100 years. Together they reflect on the relationship between humans, animals and nature.

The story that I am writing about is Voice of Nature written by Nihar Pradhan in his book Makeup and Breakup.

Before you form the perception that it is another children’s story, let me tell you that though the story has a childlike simplicity about it, it raises very pertinent issues such as fragile equation between humans and nature, the extinction of white tigers and the need for conservation of forests and wild life.

A beautiful woven story in the backdrop of Nandankanan Zoo, nestled in the splendid environs of Chandaka forest in the Temple City of Bhubaneshwar, Voice of Nature is blended with nuggets of interesting facts about wildlife and the sanctuary.

I came to know that Nandankanan (Garden of God), famous for its white tiger population is home to over 34 white tigers. Visitors to the Zoo can view the white tigers in their natural habitat from specially designed protected bushes in a White Tiger Safari.

White tiger Nanadankanan
White Tiger in Nandankan Zoo | Image credit: http://www.iamin.in/

The 50 hectares of beautiful water lake spread area named “Kangia” attracts large numbers of resident and migratory birds like whistling teal, cotton teal, darter, purple moorhen, herons, jacana etc.

The small and simple story deftly explores the facets of our environment and eco-system, and does so in a very interesting way. Through the basic expressions of imagination, and interaction between the child, the tiger, the bird and the tree,  it encourages the reader to develop an empathy with plants and animals; finally it leaves the reader with a pleasant afterthought about the possibility of animals and human beings staying in harmony on the face of earth.

Voice of Nature is a story from the book  Makeup and Breakup  written by Nihar Pradhan.

The stories looks at life through a compassionate lens, reflect upon every day moments, relationships, social, cultural and philosophical themes, and raise some very pertinent questions.  After reading the vivid description of Nandankanan through the characters in the book, I have the strong desire to go there whenever I get the opportunity. Maybe the characters will come live in front of my eyes whenever I do. 🙂

If you like the post, please consider following the blog for email updates.

0 thoughts on “Voice of Nature- Dream of harmony between humans and nature

• June 27, 2015 at 11:19 pm

At the outset, thank you so much Somali for taking time and reading though the book, indeed it is a pleasure to hear such lovely thoughts. Yes, the very objective was to reach out to larger readers and share this imperative need to connect the ever increasing disconnect between humankind and nature, yes we have become unkind to nature whereas we should be nurturing nature, its a pain many of us feel it but it is time we do our bit to take care of nature which has been taking care of us…

I couldn’t have better person to read it and share such insightful review which can help the message reach out to many and if it can make difference in our thinking and what we all at our individual level can do, I will be most happiest person and thank you so much Somali for putting a deep analysis and sharing such wonderful thoughts.

Indeed cheers to listen to the “voice of nature”, somehow it has got lost in the whirlwind of human development and the madness to grow and grow at the cost of nature…

Wishing you a wonderful weekend…rejoicing the joy of nature!!!

• June 27, 2015 at 11:31 pm

Wish you the very best for the book Nihar. The message conveyed through the story is particularly relevant when green areas are turning grey due to incessant felling of trees and razing of hills in the name of rampant development. Hope that Voice of Nature reaches a large number of people.
      Have a lovely weekend. 🙂

• June 28, 2015 at 4:19 am

It is indeed painful to see how green covers are getting uncovered and turning into concrete jungles, this is not the way are to treat mother nature, and if we continue to do so, then we are just inviting the natural disaster to hit us at will and we don’t care about our next generation and our children whom we shall be leaving them in peril and in constant danger…there is need for change and change for good.

Thank you for your good wishes and it matters a lot…

• June 28, 2015 at 3:21 am

Firstly, I liked the name Haiku very much 😀 Secondly, it is absolutely needed for children (also the adults) to understand the intangible yet eternal bonding between humankind and nature. The book, as it seems, speaks about this relationship and other relevant issues. I’ve visited Nandankanan and it can really stand out as a great backdrop for a story like this… 🙂

Nice review, Somali and thanks for sharing with us… 🙂

• June 28, 2015 at 8:07 am

Bingo! I too liked the name Haiku. :-). I told Nihar that such stories should be a part of curriculum so that at a young age children are able to appreciate the bonding between humans and nature. I had a chance to go to Gir. It was an amazing experience to see the forest, animals and the lions from close quarters. Hope some day I can make it to Nandankanan.
      Have a relaxed sunday Maniparna. 🙂

• June 28, 2015 at 9:25 am

I have been to Nandankanan twice the last trip more than two decades back. Truely fascinating place to visit.

• June 28, 2015 at 9:44 am

Sounds wonderful… would love to read it. Would you know if the Kindle version of this book is available?

• June 28, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Cool. Thanks Somali 🙂

• June 28, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Thanks Ankita, if you can share your e-mail, I can send you the link…I gave the link here but I think it is going to spam…

• June 28, 2015 at 10:10 pm

thanks Nihar I am on ankita at lifestyleproblog dot com

• June 28, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Ankita, I was trying to send to the given mail id (ankita@lifestyleproblog.com), it is showing error, could you please confirm the id again…

• June 28, 2015 at 10:02 am

During my numerous visits to Bhubaneswar , I made it a point to visit Nandankanan whenever possible .A lovely post about the garden of Eden .

• June 28, 2015 at 11:54 am

Looks like a good read for both kids and adults as well. George Orwell too had brought the prevailing social vices of his time through his book Animal Farm. Though it is meant for kids but the book was a great commentary on those time. I agree to have a better society and a brighter future there’s a need to sensitize our kids and grown ups too about the environment. And what better way to do it than a story.

• June 28, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Thank you Bushra, Yes you are so right about Animal farm. Though a children’s book, the political satire in the book cannot be missed, ‘Some animals are more equal than others’ – saw this quote in a blog just a few days back.

• June 28, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Voice of nature seems to be interesting.Nice review Somali.

• June 28, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Sound a unique concept to pen-down. Such fables are liked by both kids and their parents (i loved the Jungle book a lot).

Good luck to Nihar.

• June 28, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Thanks Alok, I must give all credit to Somali for taking the pain of going through and sharing her lovely perspective…

• June 28, 2015 at 11:10 pm

Wow a college excursion, that too in such a lovely place!. I am sure you would have enjoyed a lot Purba. Thank you for stopping by.

• June 28, 2015 at 11:19 pm

Thanks Somali for sharing this thoughtful parable. It reminded me of Shel Silverstein’s famous poem, The Giving Tree. Nandankannan visit is on my agenda now.

• June 29, 2015 at 9:10 am

What an interesting start to your post! 🙂
    Great review done.

• June 29, 2015 at 9:45 am

You have doubled my inspiration Somali! I am already reading Nihar’s book, thanks to him for sending it to me as a friendly gesture.
    You have wonderfully captured the spirit of the book! Thanks for sharing.

• June 29, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Thanks a lot for stopping by Balroop. As you are reading the book, it’s really good to hear from you that I have been able to capture the spirit of the book. I just had a peep into your blog Emotional Shadows, and found that the topics you’ve written about are pretty cool.Will hop in from time to time. 🙂

• June 29, 2015 at 1:18 pm

The book and the story looks very interesting and it can’t be childlike as these days adults need to spare a thought to the beauty of relationship with nature. Thank you Somali for sharing this post.

My best wishes to Nihar 🙂

• June 29, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Thank you Sweta and if you share your – email id, I will send you a e-book. Indeed Thanks to Somali for taking the pain in putting up a lovely review…

• June 29, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Thank you Shweta. I agree that we adults need to spare a thought to our relationship with nature. Have a lovely day.

• June 29, 2015 at 1:24 pm

The character name Haiku is attractive, I like it . In the book written by Mr. Pradhan , a detailed description is about the bonding with nature of human. Best wishes to Mr. Pradhan and Thnx to you to share the review of a great book.

• June 29, 2015 at 2:53 pm

A great review Somali.
    I loved the concept of the book. I’ll be reading the book this weekend!
    All the best Nihar! Such books which raise environmental awareness in a non-preachy manner are really needed.

• June 29, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Thank you Kiran. I agree that we need such stories to raise environmental awareness in a non-preachy manner. 🙂

• June 29, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Thanks Kiran for the best wishes. I must thank Somali for being such a great blogger friend and take pain to do a beautiful review…I just want that the message should reach a larger audience and looking forward to hearing from you..

• June 29, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Voice of Nature seems to be a wonderful book with a deep message about environmental issues. I remember reading Champak. Somehow I was also reminded of Panchtantra stories that had inherent message about code of conduct and righteous behavior. Harmony in nature should indeed be our final goal.
    Great work!! All the best and hope your voice reaches out to many people.

• June 29, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Thank you for stopping by Alka. Yes, Panchtantra has deep rooted has deep rooted wisdom of old times. So when such wisdom is presented in the present context, it does make a delightful read. 🙂

• June 29, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Of course that’ so true! Moreover it is in the present context that we have so many problems that need to be fixed up.

• June 30, 2015 at 10:09 am

Its a nice review Somali .. the story seems interesting and one that may induce love for nature in children and I loved the name Haiku for obvious reasons 😀
    Champak was a dear friend of my childhood but sadly in modern champak our beloved animal characters have been mostly replaced by children with gadgets 🙁

• June 30, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Grew up reading Champak..so could make the connect….but haven’t seen since ages.. so sad to know that Chikoo rabbit and his friends appear less now.

• June 30, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Beautiful thoughts on Nature and its harmony with human. I do believe its only a quiet mind that hears the sound and music of nature. An extract from a Chinese parable on which I had blogged earlier goes like this “Then Prince T’ai returned to the temple, the master asked him what more he had heard. “Master,” responded the prince reverently, “when I listened most closely, I could hear the unheard—the sound of flowers opening, the sound of the sun warming the earth, and the sound of the grass drinking the morning dew”!

Cheers and regards!

• June 30, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Thanks Dilip for stopping by and for sharing such a wonderful perspective. Yes I too feel that a quiet mind helps us to hear and feel the unheard. Will definitely hop in to your blog to read the post. Have a nice day. Warm regards.

• July 1, 2015 at 1:53 pm

I love such concepts. I’m in my twenties. But I love Champak, Chronicles of Narnia and The Faraway Tree series by Enid Blyton goes along these lines too.
    I would love to read this book and thanks for this post. I didn’t know that we had white tigers in India 🙂

• July 1, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Let me tell you Ranjini, when you are in your forties you may still love these concepts. 😀 ..and now you know about the white tigers too 🙂

• July 2, 2015 at 9:32 am

Right person to give an intro to the book. You know it is the back cover we see to decide if the book is if interest to us. You have succeeded in creating the interest Somali.

Idea is good, will certainly read it. Since I am yet to read the book, cannot comment on it but your writeup is good.

Best
    Katie

• July 3, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Thank you Katie. I have not yet written a book review per say, so I think the term ‘back cover’ is more appropriate than review. The issue is such that we all can relate to it, moreover I found the way it is presented to be so appealing that I felt like writing about it. Thank you once again 🙂