Walt Disney – Laughter, Magic & Dreams

Walt Disney is my obvious choice for the letter W, for today’s #AtoZChallenge, for the theme ‘Brands that people identify with’.

The name Walt Disney automatically conjures, in the mind, pictures of Mickey Mouse with a funny mischievous expression on his face and hands up in the air, playing pranks or embarking on an adventure with his girlfriend Minnie Mouse, pet dog Pluto, his friends Donald Duck, and Goofy.

Walt_Disney_Logo

Started by a mouse

Mickey Mouse popped out of my mind onto a drawing pad 20 years ago on a train ride from Manhattan to Hollywood at a time when business fortunes of my brother Roy and myself were at lowest ebb and disaster seemed right around the corner. —Walt Disney

In 1927, Walt Disney had created a character called Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, for Universal Pictures.  Oswald was an instant hit; but the studio retained the rights to the character. After he discovered that he had lost the rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Walt Disney started from the scratch and created Mickey Mouse in 1928.

Walt Disney quote

Mickey shot into popularity with Steamboat Willie, the first animation film to feature synchronized music and sound effects. The film premiered in New York on Nov. 18, 1928 and was an instant hit.

The lovable mouse became so hugely popular by end of the year that it prompted Walt to quickly start up a line of Mickey merchandise. Within two years the Mickey Mouse Club, a fan club for children, was up and running.

In 1932 a special Academy Award was given to Walt Disney for the creation of Mickey Mouse.

Adding the Element of Fun

Mickey_Mouse_quote

The unadulterated joys of childhood come true with Disney. From comic strips, to theme parks, to movies, to the Disney Channel shows, brand Disney taps into our childhood dreams and fantasies and turns them into magical experiences.

With an unflinching focus on creativity since its inception in California, in 1923, Disney makes innovative use of technology and data to deliver personalized vacation customer experiences.

Disney Infinity, is a platform for gamers, with which they can create stories and games starring Disney and Disney/Pixar characters.  With MyMagic+, plans can be made online or via mobile to enjoy Walt Disney World attractions with little or no wait.

Along with the U.S, U.K. and Japan, China and Russia are now among the largest markets for Disney’s movies. The 3D animated Disney musical fantasy Frozen was a huge box office success in 2013.

The globally most admired brand for family entertainment, is tapping the next-generation media and platforms, and making innovative use of technology and personalization to take its customer experience to the next level.

I haven’t yet had the chance to shake hands with Mickey but I still enjoy watching Mickey on a Disney Channel show.

This lil mouse, with a grip on our imagination, teaches us this very important lesson in life:

You must not let anyone define your limits because of where you come from. Your only limit is your soul.” – Ratatouille

If you believe that any image used on this site infringes your copyright, please inform and it will be removed.

Hey! Say what you want to. Please Like, Share and/or drop in a Comment below!   🙂

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to get new posts by email.

By: Somali K Chakrabarti

Hi there ! I am a management and leadership coach and a ‘çlinical blogger’. Well, that’s what my family & friends call me now ! Here, I tell stories of different brands, how people relate to the brands and the values, beliefs and emotions that they associate with the brands. Hope you enjoy reading my posts.

29 thoughts on “Walt Disney – Laughter, Magic & Dreams

• April 27, 2015 at 2:39 pm

unrelenting, unflinching, ferocious dreamseeker! that’s how you become an instant hit! but the work behind it is much deeper and harder and takes longer than an instant, and that’s what is so daunting to most people – don’t just dream it, do it!
    walt disney is one of my heroes – wonderful post!

• April 27, 2015 at 2:48 pm

No doubt Tara. What we see is the success, but what it not so obvious is the hard work, risk, failure, struggle, persistence, discipline, courage and resilience to create such a brand.
      Thanks a lot for your insightful comment. 🙂

• April 27, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Laughter, imagination, and dreams- yes well said they truly define human spirit and its continuity. World would have been a pretty serious place without disney and its characters.

• April 27, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Well said Rajat. As they say ”In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun.”
      Thanks for stopping by.

• April 27, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Imagination, dreams and laughter- and, I would also like to add that often there is a message hidden in the creation of Walt Disney. I’ve watched ‘Frozen’ 4 times along with my son 😀 I love all the Disney cartoons.

Great take on ‘W’ (y)

• April 28, 2015 at 1:56 am

Oh my ! 4 times ! No wonder messages conveyed subtly without being preachy are the best received. 🙂 Thank you Maniparna for adding on this point.

• April 28, 2015 at 2:55 am

I have watched the immortal creative works of Walt Disney since my boyhood days
    which left a deep imprint on my mind. Many thanks for writing such a lovely post on
    on one of my icons .

• April 28, 2015 at 3:11 am

Thank you.

• April 28, 2015 at 3:05 am

Too good. Fabulous post

• April 28, 2015 at 3:11 am

• May 1, 2015 at 5:28 am

Walt Disney characters have captured the hearts and minds of every child and has engrossed the child for the rest of his life. A powerful brand and a true mascot of total entertainment. It’s amazing that we still watch it with rapt attention dad myself and my daughter and feel good every time we watch

• June 6, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Oh yes the story of Walt Disney is inspiring… entertainment is a hot industry in that some cartoons I still like as adult infact get memories of it is Tom and Jerry, Garfield and Looney Tones…bang on with light entertainment, these days all noisy cartoons not worth a watch compared to the old times…anyway.

• August 8, 2015 at 8:12 am

This is super adorable post Somali. The story behind Walt Disney is truly inspiring! 🙂 I know your daughter would love this post too! ^_^

• August 8, 2015 at 8:52 am

Thank you Maitreni. Yes you are very right. She liked this. In fact she too has written a couple of posts in this blog on Blackberry and Nintendo . 🙂

• August 8, 2015 at 11:58 am

I grew up watching Mickey Mouse and Tom and Jerry series. You are right. Disney was the pioneer of animation industry. I believe, he was scared of mice. I think, i have read it somewhere!

• August 8, 2015 at 12:19 pm

I am not aware if Walt Disney was scared of mice, but if he was, he surely put hid fear to good use. Thank you for stopping by.

• August 9, 2015 at 5:51 am

A very good read Somali. I have seen my mother enjoying it, I still enjoy seeing them and my daughter too. It will go on for generations!

• August 9, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Walt Disney is really a very inspiring person. A part of his life I’ve seen in the movie, Saving Mr. Banks. 🙂

• August 13, 2015 at 12:56 am

Somali, I, too, am a huge fan of Walt Disney. A man with fantastic imagination and vision, Disney today owes its worldwide standing to him. But equally, we must credit the people who continue to build on his legacy at Disney corporation.

• August 13, 2015 at 2:32 am

Thank you Lata. That’s 100% true. Beside imagination and vision execution is equally important and those who make it possible and carry forward the legacy must be credited for their roles.

• Pingback: Brand Stories snapshot | AtoZChallenge | Life11