Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living. – Miriam Beard
The concept of holiday travel has undergone a drastic change in the last two to three decades. During my growing up days, holiday travel mostly meant paying social visits to relatives living in different cities. During such visits, together the guests and the hosts would go to the popular tourist attractions. This has changed over time with the changes in lifestyle.
How Holiday travel has evolved over time
Holiday travel has now extended beyond social visits and also beyond seeing only the popular tourist attractions in many ways.
- People now take multiple short getaways.
- For many new age travellers, holiday travel is more about garnering new experiences and making individual discoveries.
- Besides travelling with family, people also travel with friends or even with social media groups on special occasions.
- Instead of staying at some relatives place, groups generally assemble at some resort in a common destination to explore new and even lesser known places.
- The idea of holiday travel is to get a hang of the place in its totality and discover interesting facets of the local culture, cuisine, art, wildlife, nature and adventure.
- Finally, the pictures must be Instagramable since a holiday is not complete till you have shared the pictures.
#HolidayDifferently Blogger Meet in Mumbai
Last week, I was invited to a blogger meet hosted by Sterling Holidays with IndiBlogger at the ITC Grand Central Hotel in Parel. Sterling Holiday Resorts Limited is an independently managed subsidiary of Thomas Cook (India) Limited (TCIL). It has twenty-nine resorts located all over India. The theme of the meeting was how people are now looking forward to different “holiday experiences.” I was curious to know how Sterling Holidays is making it possible for people to holiday differently.